M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bamboo seems like an excellent resource to have on your land if possible. I have noticed it a lot more over the last 6 months around Georgia. Not sure what kind of climates it will grow in, but from what I remember, it grows constantly and I believe it will spread rather quickly. Sounds like a good resource to have on hand.

Anyone else intentionally planted bamboo on their property or thought of this? It just seems like it could be used for tons of projects. My first thought was to get some to build something for my tomatoes to grow up on. Either stacked in a tee-pee configuration or built into some type of trellis.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
We have very large tracts of bamboo forest here in Maui county.

Bamboo is a very good building material. It is very light weight and strong.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Bamboo comes in many different varieties but is very very useful.

Just looking at tripods for tomatoes & other light construction consider river cane or reeds.

HH

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It can be a real pain to keep under control so put it where you don't have to do a lot of lawn maintenance. I've seen it grown as far north as NJ.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
To transplant either bamboo or river cane dig out a few bulbs from the edge of a stand. Dig a hole where you want the new stand & bury slightly underground & keep watering it for atleast a year.

HH

·
Registered
547 Posts
It can be a real pain to keep under control so put it where you don't have to do a lot of lawn maintenance. I've seen it grown as far north as NJ.
Most people that intentionally plant bamboo regret it. Especially if you reside in a neighborhood. It is very invasive. Like kudzu.

·
Registered
862 Posts
does anyone know a species that gets pretty big in diameter that would grow in the gulf south? been thinking about planting some in the back of my pasture. the river cane around here is too flimsy to do anything real with.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
does anyone know a species that gets pretty big in diameter that would grow in the gulf south? been thinking about planting some in the back of my pasture. the river cane around here is too flimsy to do anything real with.

Timber Bamboo gets up to 100' tall and has a diameter of about 6"

I think it's the largest of the bamboo grass. Yes... Bamboo is the tallest of the grasses.

·
Registered
862 Posts
thanks. wow 100 ft. how much time does it take to grow that high?

·
Registered
862 Posts
What I found out with a little investigation and internet search

I did today, picked up some giant timber bamboo plants. will plant this week. nursery guy said will get 3-6" diam. and is very strong also it is a clumping bamboo meaning the shoots tend to stay close so this type dosn't run all over and get out of control. he had some that was 50 ft tall said took about 8-10 yrs to get that height but it was at least 4" dia at base and up past 15'. he also transplanted this so it stunted its growth rate for few years. he said it takes full sun and well drained soil. the mature plants are freeze and snow tolarant just mulch heavy the bases. Also the young shoots are very good in a stir fry. so another food source! My wife thinks i got them just because they are pretty!!!!!!

Also found out that the stalks mature and live for only about 15 yrs then they need to be cut out/pruned so the new growth stalks can grow big too. You will want to put your bamboo leaves and grass clipping around base and out where you want it to grow. bamboo likes high Nitrogen soil. so as you mow blow clippings toward the bamboo-- I like this I hate to rake up leaves and grass clippings for mulch pile.

there is one other type i'm looking at think it is called "Madake" - it was used in Japan for most construction very strong but it was not native to Japan. It is the Running type and can get out of control. but it gets huge 6" dia. it was featured in crouching tiger hidden dragon movie. big forest of bamboo. no one in my ao has this type can order it online. but I want to do a little more research before planting a running type. I don't need any more maint. hassles.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
To contain anything that can get out of control with runners just dig a trench around it & out some tim or heavy dury plastic edging in.

HH

·
Registered
862 Posts
disked up a small area that gets good sun. shovel mixed in a bag of potting soil to my sandy loam soil and got it planted today and watered good. I just hope we get a couple of weeks of warm weather before we get any freezes. We don't normaly get any long term cold weather but I'd like to get some root growth before any hits. I'll mix up some root stimulator for the next time I water. This usually gets things going pretty quick. worked great for my palm trees.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The wife and I found some bamboo near her parents’ house this weekend, actually on their property. We cut about 12 pieces that were probably close to 30’ in height. Used my new Ka-bar Kukri machete and it did the job nicely. Most pieces were around 3” diameter at the base and came down in about 3 swings. Once down, we cut into sections about 10’ long. Hitting these once at the right angle would sometimes cut them clean in two. Others but up a bit of a fight. We then started at the top/small end and cleaned the branches off them. Surprisingly fast process, most limbs came right off with one swing. Not sure if it was my imagination, but it seems like the limbs/shoots off the sides are either on one side or the other, not like a tree that will come out on any side of the round base. We loaded them up and got them home. All the pieces probably way 50 lbs or so. Took them out and leaned them up on a fence. We will start building our structures for our vegetable gardens next weekend. Plan to make some a frame with a beam across and string running down for the peas and beans. Plan to make pyramids for the tomato plants. Also may make some trellises.

I will try and post pics in a few weeks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks HH, is there an expected time it should take for these to dry out? We were hoping to get them in the ground next weekend, but that would put them in direct sunlight.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
A week allowed to dry in the shade will make a big difference. The slower they dry out the stronger they will be & longer they will last. Dry time depends on how much moisture is in the bamboo. Same goes for reedsiver cane).

HH

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
BTW, if you can find some river cane it makes excellent tripods for tomatoe plants & such.

HH

·
Registered
510 Posts
I sleep between Bamboo Sheets. And I have a Bamboo T shirt. Softer than Silk better than cotton. It Has some very good quality's (Kills Body odor) Its harder than Red oak but softer than White oak. (I do hardwood flooring) Set up a buyer for your crop. It could make some $$

1 - 20 of 20 Posts