M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for recommendations on ball powder to use to load 3006 that would be Garand safe and also work in my 1903's and 1917. I will be using 150 grain and 168 grain bullets. I have several good loads using IMR 4895, but would like to use my Dillon to load plincking ammo and they do not work so well with stick powders. I understand about the Garand pressure curves and m2 ball equivalency. I have on hand AA2460, BL-c2. I would not have a problem searching out other powders if necessary. Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Yes, spherical powders will meter more consistently than stick powders, but I doubt it will make much difference unless shooting beyond about 300 yards.

The spherical powders are usually more dense than stick, so they don't fill the case as much - which reduces the consistency of how the powder ignites.

Also, with typical 30-06 loads for a 150 grain bullet, even a plus/minus 0.5 grain difference in powder weight won't affect the poi that much at 300 yards and closer.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Find some surplus WC852. It is great in 30 cal and 8mm mauser calibers.
wc852 is all i use for .30/06 because i have 2 jugs of it. there is no load data for it because it varied in burn rate from lot to lot. i just load to velocity and accuracy.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'd like to try some H335 for 150 grain bullets in my garand when I can find some

Reactions: 3Gunnah

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Accurate 2700 has been working very well for me for a few thousand rounds in many matches.

Of course, I'm out, and now have a supply of IMR 4985 anyway.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Be careful using anything slower then IMR 4064. Those rifles aren't getting any cheaper...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Just polish the powder hopper on that 550 and the IMR will meter decent enough for the M1/M1A, I can usually get +/- .2 on powder drops and that's good enough for plinking accuracy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Accurate 2230 or ball c2 are both good choices. The accurate arms loading manual has a full section of garand safe loads and I assume most powder manuals would have something similar

1 - 14 of 14 Posts