M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some get hot & heavy into alot of weapons & ammo yet only have a few cases of water & MREs. Or big bug out plans yet their vehicle fuel gauge is normally at 1/4.

Air, water, & shelter should be your priorities. Many feel no need for a gas mask which is fine but atleast have some painter's masks, XL bandanas, etc.

For most, water is going to be the most critical thing. Drinking bad water is going to make you sick & in a SHTF situation will probably kill you. You want multiple sources & multiple means of purifying it.

A trick on shelter with your vehicle is to have cloth bug screen. Hang it over the window from the outside & shut the door then roll down the window. Allows for fresh air & being able to hear what's going on outside better.

Everyone will have what they believe are the most likely scenarios for them. Prepare for those properly & most anything else will be covered.

I don't forsee massive hords of people leaving the cities & invading the countrysides. By time they decide help isn't coming they will be so sick from bad water or such or so weak from lack of food they just aren't going to make it 20+ miles out of the city to the country.

And consider this about your commercial water if that is what you have. That water is treated ususally with bleach & its the water pressure in the lines that keep contaminates from entering the water lines. Loose pressure & doesn't take long for all that water to become contaminated.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
A man must first decide if he is going to be mobile or stationary. Being stationary allows for a large amount of stored water and an elaborate filtration system. Being mobile requires a lightweight, portable water filtration system. How many pounds of water can you carry? On the other hand.... If you are stationary, with potable water, and your neighbors have no water..... Can you defend your source of water?

Hobo

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you do have to bug out do you have a priority list or the stuff together to go? And different for leaving in a vehicle or on foot? Have any caches?

I've already decided I will help each of my neighbors ONCE with water & food (beans & rice). With a good size river a mile away its just for them to go collect some water then some firewood (more woods then homes here) & boil that water.

On the other hand, if they'll give me some gas I'll run my well pump with the generator. Deep well & good water.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'll agree, balance, and balance for different situations. Practice!!!

Backpacking is a good way to get to know what you need on foot. I have a list what goes in the pack and it has changed over the years. What you used/needed vs. what was extra weight. What I won't skimp on are things like my first aid stash. Only have needed it once, for a nasty cut to my foot, but I was glad I had it. One time I went out for two weeks and forgot to pack 1/2 my food, but I had a fishing pole and great wild edible book. I was inspired to both fish and forage. Fire is essential on foot. I have learned to make and use a bow drill. A good water purifier and some iodine.

For bug in, you can practice too. Spend a weekend with no grid power, and if municipal water nothing from the tap. You will need to heat/cool your house, obtain drinkable water, dispose of bathroom waste, light at night, cook. For the latrine if you have a septic system you can flush with any sort of water, but municipal you don't have a place to flush too or water, and it may back up into YOUR house. If winter do you have backup heat? If summer how do you deal with heat, humidity, bugs, and keeping your fresh food fresh? Do you have a garden/orchard? Do you have edibles you can eat with/without cooking? Do you even have a non-electric can opener? If you do have a generator, try that first, then next time without it. Stored water only lasts so long, do you have a well and/or means to purify water several ways and an alternate raw source?

For bug out on wheels. Give yourself 1 hour to get ready for a weekend, with what you have on hand NOW, without prepacking unless that is already in place. Do you have gas to get you there? A plan B on foot if the truck breaks down? I would have all my backpacking stuff in a pack in the truck, along with things I would not carry otherwise.

In each case do you need to protect yourself and what to have/bring?

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mad Trapper, I'm glad you brought that up about septic systems. I had a guy say he would never leave his home. Yet is totally reliant on commercial water & septic. I ask him if he would remain in in his home if the septic backed up & he insisted that couldn't happen. I hope his family never finds out it can happen.

2004 hurricanes here the ground was totally soaked from all the rain which meant the drain field couldn't work as it needed to. My solution was taking a shower out in the yard at night till we had several days of sun after each hurricane.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those that will bug out be it vehicle or on foot, limited gear means you best have quality stuff & skills to go with it.

Land navigation skills could be critical. Having a 7.5 minute topo map covering your route from point A to B. And even though it might be alittle longer route, you want to be able to encounter a water source every day. Going to be alot easier then trying to carry several days worth of water.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Mad Trapper, I'm glad you brought that up about septic systems. I had a guy say he would never leave his home. Yet is totally reliant on commercial water & septic. I ask him if he would remain in in his home if the septic backed up & he insisted that couldn't happen. I hope his family never finds out it can happen.

2004 hurricanes here the ground was totally soaked from all the rain which meant the drain field couldn't work as it needed to. My solution was taking a shower out in the yard at night till we had several days of sun after each hurricane.
Yes, everyone needs to poop and bathe.

If you have septic, and laws allow, you can feed grey water to a different place than leach field. Some have even used it for irrigation purposes. This will cut down load on septic system and make use of water otherwise wasted. It all depends on what is in the grey water.

The old time out house is another option, but have a supply of lime to go along with your TP stash, and locate it away from any drinking water sources. May not be viable with high water table. Make it well screened from insects and rodents with a "chimney" for ventilation.

Your rainwater collection system will provide ample water for flushing a toilet and bathing without treatment. With treatment an alternate source of drinking water. The same water stored in an elevated black barrel, in the sun, makes a great outdoor shower. Provide screens to keep mosquitos out of any openings. The used shower water is fine for flushing a toilet.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As long as I have fuel for the generator I will probably get all my water from the well except for using rain water for the toilet & possibly laundry.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hawk,
How deep is your well? Somewhere online I saw a design for a well bucket made out of about a 4' long pvc pipe small enough to fit inside a well casing. On the bottom it had a flapper, drop it down the casing flapper opens it fills with water pull it up flapper closes. Would work on shallow wells.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
more info

basic first aid kit is a must ! some basic fishing gear too,,, line hooks and sinkers, a rod or two can be a fish multiplier but line and a stick will work, silent food gathering no loud report, set and leave for 24/7 gathering. all of this is very very light weight and small space used!

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Depending on where you are with supplies, figure everything you have calculated to days, weeks, or months. Whatever the bottom three items are are what you should really key on. For me, that would be tobacco, coffee, & TP. Yes, I have just shy of four months of TP store.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.