M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(11/16/20)

Old man, poor vision asks:

Having problems with roll pin in stripper clip guide. Can anyone verify (from performing the procedure) and not simply watching The Armory video, the correct roll/tension pin size and the correct size punch? I bought a Dasco Pro pin punch, but when I got it home it appeared to have a bit of slag at the top which did flake off but it still doesn't fit from the bottom of the receiver and I don't want to damage the hole. Also suspecting some jerk put the wrong size roll pins in the "right" size box at the hardware store too. Someone pls help on the correct sizes of both and any encountered probs. would be great...Thx

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
This is a portion of the blueprint for the M14/M1A receiver

Note that the hole for the pin is specified to be .094" - .097" in diamter (including the tolerance). The closest pin and punch that fits that size hole is 3/32".

This is a portion of Saklak's instructions on installing their scope mount.

i. Remove receiver from stock. From the inside of the receiver, insert a 3/32 diameter or slightly smaller punch and gently tap the spring pin out. Do not attempt to remove pin by pushing it into the receiver because of possible burrs on the inside. Next, support the left side of the receiver with a block of wood. Gently tap the stripper guide on the right side only. Stripper guide is removed from right to left. ii. CAUTION: Care should be taken not to use excessive force to remove pin or stripper clip guide. It may cause the receiver to crack or other damage to occur.

Spring pin punches have a rounded bump on the end vs the flat face of a standard punch.

The bump helps prevent bending the pin when installing or uninstalling them.

Remove the pin from the inside out. Note that the pin is 90 degrees to the face of the dovetail so make sure that you account for that when you drive the punch through the hole.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Thought you meant the drift/punch diameter which is what the OP asked for. You didnt specify, ,, a thousand pardons.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I don't mean to be rude. However, I would never presume to state what I thought someone else meant to say.

Actually, the OP requested the size of the pin and the size of the punch. I don't recall ever seeing the size of a punch expressed in diameter and length, I thought it would be clear that I was speaking of the size of the pin.

My apology should my comments covey any harshness.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
I would never presume that you didnt know what you were talking about. But your very short answer described the pin only and didnt address the punch size as the OP asked for, and that is why I was confused. In fact I didnt notice until now the X between the two numbers, my mistake. Not questioning your knowledge as I know you have forgotten more about these details than I will likely ever know.
Can we call that good?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts