M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a antique German double 16 guagemy grandfather gave me.Beautiful gun mad around 1917,engraved pictures scrollwork.The wood to metal fit WAS unbelievable.I oiled it down and stored it in a friends gunvault when I moved into my camper after my dad died(as it is valuable).Well I got it back today after leaving it for a few years(weve had break in attempts here and I figured it was safest there)

The wood on the right side of the stock where it meets the reciever had popped out,despite the bevel in the wood.Iloosened the stock enough to get it in,but the sides where the trigger and safety slide in are n ow warped out leaving a gap along the safety and trigger .
Imagine the butt end of the stock attatched to a U with the reciever/triggr on buttom and safety sliding into the U at the front of the stock.Well now its a Y.

I went to the gunsmith to talk to him about it and see if anything could be done(nope),and what might have caused it.He and a friend of his both strongly agreed it was gun oil working its way into the stock over the last 100 years as opposed to my other fears(accidentally getting wedged,dessicant gone bad(humidity)temp fluctuations etc. and were amazed it lasted this long.Well it lasted this long because despite hunting like crazy with it since I was 12 I knew it was old and valuable I babied the [email protected]#n thing.

It is still safe to shoot,and he said not to worry abou it.But I have a son to pass it on to who will appreciate it and I feel I've let him down,and my grandfather tooGI4

Its one of the most beautiful shot guns I have ever seen in my life and except for a few pecks in the stock( old enough to look origional) it was almost perfect . I wish one of you would do me a favor and come KICK MY ACENSOREDGICENSOREDGI(I know its not my fault it was inevitable)but it might make me feel betterPEODGIF

I really might cry before its overICONCRY

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Please stop beating yourself up. "Two wrongs don't make a right." We don't 'own' our guns, we are merely the custodians of them, as you are now painfully aware. This wasn't intentional abuse, or carelessness, or neglect. If you must blame someone, blame the thugs who would have stolen it and pawned it given the chance. They made you fearful of loss, (didn't FDR promise us 'freedom from fear'?) and THEY are the authors of your misery, not you.
I know this is of little consolation, but you still have it, and it will make a good story and project. Keep looking for some 'smith to fix it. I suggest Champlin Firearms, in Enid, OK. they have done restorations on worse, but they are not cheap. daveP_G

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave,its just its about time to pass it on to my son.I'll look into them.The smith I talked to sent my grand father to a guy(he refused to touch it) just for a break down inspection etc. who ended up being the makers grandson (thats how I know 1917 +- a year).He was in Tennesee,I believe Grand Junction,but that was 25 years ago.Trying to find him.I'll keep your guys in mind if I cant. Ill try to post pics now that we have a camera.It may be next week,because after work I have to scope the 30-30 for son for deer season.And have them tonite and tomorrow.

Thanks
but a swift kick would make me feel betterGI8

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
There's a guy that is closer to you that does this sort of thing. I have used him and recommend him highly. He is not expensive, and very fair and honest and does beautiful work.
His name is Jeff Colley and is in Pope Miss.(Enid Lake) If you're interested PM me for his phone number.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts