M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ... Maybe not quite that bad ... But it could have been ...

I am initiating this thread for my partner Brian ... The other half of Whamo Camo aka catfish ...

He's prepping his pre ban SAI with various usgi parts for upcoming deer season ...

His boss gave him about 10 boxes of Russian Win .308 from Tula Arsenal (see below pic) ...

This is NOT Wolf which has a 'greenish" colored casing and has much more lacquer on it so we figured this should go well for plinking ...

This gray colored case looks more shiney than it is due to flash ... Its no wheres near as heavily coated as the Wolf ammo

The Mftg date shows 1978 (see below pic)

So he runs south of town a mile or thereabouts to the wide open spaces ... Gets a target set out at approx 25 yards for starters ...

Inserts a mag with some fmj mil surp and fires off five shots slowly working his way to the center of the bull ...

Only had five rounds of the mil surp so he inserts a mag with the above Russian ammo ...

Fires off one round ... makes a minor adjustment on his scope ...

Fires off round number 2 and WHAM

Ripped off the primer from the jammed casing ...
All other rounds in the mag went in a downward direction ...
Bulging out the mag slightly and blowing out the floor plate ...
He had a magpul on the mag which somewhat held it all together ... (see pic below)

Strong hit on the primer ... (see pic below)

Casing (naturally) was expanded and schtuk ...(see pic below)

Extracted casing (eventually via easy out using caution & care ... no shell extractor)

Luckily no one was hurt ..... Cold have been worse .....

WARNING: If you have any of this stuff we strongly urge you not to use it ...GI2

Special Thanks To Mr Ted Brown For His Advice & Assistance

Six

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Six!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW: The bolt face looked unharmed ...

It's a TRW ...GI2

Six

·
Registered
966 Posts
My rifles cost me a lot of money, so they only get fed quality ammo. It limits how much I can shoot, but if I just want to plink, than I pull out the .22 LR.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Thanks for the Warning SixT, but I don't need it, I won't shoot any Wolf, Silver Bear, Brown Bear,Tula,Barnaul or any of that Steel Cased Crap in my 14s, they are way too Expensive and I like my Face as it is,I have been called an Elitist and just about everything else in the Ammo Bunker, so Be It!ICONWINK

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I had a guy offer me a case of that stuff a couple of weeks ago and was looking at getting a Winchester Model 70 and running it in it and trying it in my pre-ban and Soc16. I read this and decided I'll just shoot what I roll or quality milsurp.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Thanks for the Warning SixT, but I don't need it, I won't shoot any Wolf, Silver Bear, Brown Bear,Tula,Barnaul or any of that Steel Cased Crap in my 14s, they are way too Expensive and I like my Face as it is,I have been called an Elitist and just about everything else in the Ammo Bunker, so Be It!ICONWINK
I'm witcha on that. I'm even selective more than most on the surplus. I figure none of my weps are test beds for ammo.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Guys - You cant shoot this stuff in a 14! There is no way to know what they are loading this crap with. We have a port pressure threshold with this rifle! A small one! 4895 +/- a few burn rates. We know this...

Lets not see these things happen anymore, and tell your buddies not to be shooting just any old fodder in this rifle....
Dude got lucky. Junk could have been loaded with pistol powder for all we know....

End of speech and thanks for the graphic reminder....DI2

·
Registered
744 Posts
Good that no one was hurt.

I hope that some of the shooters that say they shoot that stuff, and don't have any problems see this and think about it..

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Bad Ju-ju!!!

Very glad to hear that no one was hurt giving this lesson that steel cased ammo is not good fodder for these rifles!!!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm in the market for some surplus and am trying to sort out the stuff to stay away from.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My gunstore has a Glock blown apart by steel cased Russian ammo. Stay away from it. The only thing I've ever found that's safe to shoot steel cased ammo in, at least so far, is AK's.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
My gunstore has a Glock blown apart by steel cased Russian ammo. Stay away from it. The only thing I've ever found that's safe to shoot steel cased ammo in, at least so far, is AK's.

Kevin
.................and SKS's!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Glad to hear Brian wasn't hurt, now he can keep those beautiful stocks coming down the line. One more reason to be very picky with ammo. Has anyone checked to see if this was strictly an ammo problem or were there contributing mechanical factors.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Have shot more than 500rds of Silver Bear through my standard M1A with out any problems. It only take one however. May need to rethink this and save it for plinking out of my Saiga.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm guessing that the lacquer on the cases caused the cases to hang up in the chamber and produced a slam-fire / out of battery explosion. Just my guess. That lacquer is a stick mess when heated. Wolf has gone away from it on their ammo, and now uses what they call a polymer coating. Much less sticky than the lacquer.

Kevin

·
Registered
102 Posts
His boss gave him about 10 boxes of Russian Win .308 from Tula Arsenal (see below pic) ...

This is NOT Wolf which has a 'greenish" colored casing and has much more lacquer on it so we figured this should go well for plinking ...

This gray colored case looks more shiney than it is due to flash ... Its no wheres near as heavily coated as the Wolf ammo

The Mftg date shows 1978 (see below pic)
GI8

Thanks for sharing this, and I'm glad noone nor no rifle was hurt.

The Tula I have seen that AIM was selling has a polymer coating and not a lacquer coating. Is this the same stuff?

Hard to believe that Tula has non-corrosive 308win from 1978. Perhaps we are reading the label wrong? Can you include a better photo of the lot #/manufacturer date?

Again, I appreciate ya'll sharing this. I have a buddy that shoots Tula from his M1A, and has raved about it. I would like to see the label clearly and direct his attention to this thread.

Also, a photo of the head from an unfired round, showing the normal primer size, next to the separated head/flattened primer may be helpful in presuading some.

Regards,
SS

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have never used it and since I roll my own most likely won't but I guess this can happen with reloads

1 - 20 of 42 Posts