M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the local mom and pop gun shop and picked up some 7.62 ammo for my M1a National Match. It was being sold as Military surplus Ammo. It is marked FNM-83-13 and from the research Ive done I've determined that it is old Portuguese ammo. The problem is that some of the brass appears corroded in spots (see pictures). Do you guys think it is safe to shoot this stuff or should I toss it?

·
Registered
502 Posts
hope you didnt pay too much for it. I got some .30-06 ammo for free once to shoot in a M1 garand and some of it looked like that.. i just threw it away.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Use the search engine here for corroded DAG/MEN ammo, same issue and you can read what everyone has been doing with it. Most can be cleaned up and shot. Good luck

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Search "Port Ammo" there was a thread a little while back about corrosion on Port Ammo. I cleaned mine up with a scotch brite pad and it worked fine.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The pink corrosion goes all the way through the case; do not shoot any ammo with pink corrosion. The cartridge on the left for example, and possibly the center cartridge.

Use steel wool to remove corrosion on remainder (may uncover more pink). The safe ammo case will be smooth to the touch, present no holes into the interior and no pink.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Don't throw it away. Pull the bullet and reload them into another case. If you don't reload give them to one of your friends who does.

Reactions: sjstill
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.