M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My well pump hasn't worked for two days. Appears to be the pressure switch. Experts will be out in the morning. So for a few days have had a good shake down of the rain catch & storeage system along with water filtration system. Other then being out there in the 100+ heat not a problem with the system.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,606 Posts
A good two or three day work out of the system bugs.

GI5

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
You should be able to manually engage the switch to see if that is the problem.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, but is it the switch of a clog? I took the flexible line off & cleaned it out. But there still could be a clog internally at either end. To be quoted $75-125 I'll let the experts take it from here. $125 if they have to replace the switch & adjust it.
Same company was out here a few years ago when I developed a small leak between some of the impellor stages. Showed up on time & bill was $15 less then quoted.

Not safe, but the pump will run is electrically I jumper across the switch. I just felt better to use my backup system then take a chance of destroying a thousand dollar pump.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I hate to sound like a smart ass but if you cant fix a well what makes you feel like you are ready for the shift. Being able to fix and repair is key so would it not be better to work on it now and learn how to fix it will you have the ability to get parts than to wait until there are no parts and wreck it when you must have it. A cheap voltage meter and you should be able to find out what is bad.
But what do i know i never did make it thought college.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In a perfect world I would have a spare pump & pressure switch. Don't have a spare thousand dollars for them right now. Probably won't have spares anyhow because of considering probably no electricity come SHTF.

Don't need a meter to trouble shoot. Take two sticks & push on the pressure switches & pump runs building up water pressure. So either its the switch or a glog in the pressure line & I already removed the flexible line & cleaned it out. Could be the diaphram unit that sends the pressure to the switch. I just have no interest in dealing with it in the 100+ degree heat.

2" well case pipe is 186ft deep. Pressure brings the water to 113ft & drop pipe is to 117ft. Pump is a Sta-Rite 2hp, 3 stage, 240VAC phased at 11amp.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NE450N02 I'm guessing you would have a sump pump which is a completely different critter then my J-pump. You have a problem with your pump itself & all that pipe & wire has to be pulled out of the well. But I believe your pressure switch is above ground.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
HH Thanks for the info.

I know the company that drilled and installed my well, before I bought the place.

I think I should have a "conversation" with them regarding spare parts, repairs, maintance, etc.

I know my pump is 220 volts, and I have a 220 volt gasoline generator...

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SHTF how long is gasoline going to be available though? I have a 5500watt gas generator as a backup but only good for short term power outages.
IF you figured out power for SHTF & has a spare pump you would still have to figure out how to pull all that pipe & the pump out of the ground to change it. A sturdy A frame would do it but would have to be tall since you would be removing one 20ft section at a time. & hoist or whatever would have to be strong enough for the initial weight.
Solar power would be an option but the weak point would be duration of batteries.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tell them to make sure they bring out a pressure switch. PS keep the old switch for spare parts. There might be a rubber diaphragm that cracked. You might be able to replace it for like $20 and have a spare switch on hand..
These guys are experienced. They ask what type pump it is & what the problem is. So they make sure to have the parts they may need on the truck.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
HH

If the Bad Days really come I have a fairly large pond on my place that I can get water from.

I have a proper hand operated filter, that would provide enough drinking/cooking water.

As to the Generator, in the short term, I could run it for 30 minutes or so, and pump out enough well water for drinking/cooking to last for a week or two.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Also just a couple of miles from where we live is an artesian well, that has been willed to the "public", for free use of water. Many people in the county still go there to get their drinking water. It flows 365 days a year.

If the bad days come, I have enough ammo to deal with any one that wants to take it over, and restrict its use, and I would return it to "Public" use if necessary...

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rather then maybe having to deal with contaminated ground water you might want to look at some rain collection & storeage systems. For every square foot of roof space you would collect .6 gallon of water from every inch of rain. You would need to research your average monthly rainfall to determine if that is feasible. But a small solar system & 12VDC Surflo pump & you could have regular running water in the house. Separate water line for the toilet as that water just needs cloth filtered. All other you want purified.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also just a couple of miles from where we live is an artesian well, that has been willed to the "public", for free use of water. Many people in the county still go there to get their drinking water. It flows 365 days a year.

If the bad days come, I have enough ammo to deal with any one that wants to take it over, and restrict its use, and I would return it to "Public" use if necessary...
Do you have a horse & wagon to go get water when there is no fuel for vehicles?
Make no doubt that the more water options you have the better your chances of survival will be. And that is why I have multiple plans also including the river a mile away.

EDIT: Might want atleast a hand cart & some 5gal jugs or buckets with lids.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't want to have to leave my property to get water but ofcourse will if I have to. I've more roof space that I can do additional collection systems.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The pond is 20 yards or so from the house.

As to rain water, that is something to consider, as when it rains here it rains a lot, but in the summer, not so much.

The public artesian well, it would be necesary to drive to, or I could use my 5 burros...

It would take a rodeo or two to train them, but it could be done... They do like me, and are friendly... Five burros could haul enough drinking/cooking water to last a month at least...

However it might be even easier to just filter/boil the water from the pond.

Lots of wood on my place...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.