M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Not necessarily a true BA topic (but could be if covert target practice became required)................What type and thickness of steel would you guys suggest to make up a 4' x 4' target back stop? I would expect it to be used mostly for .22 rim fire, but the ability to stand up to say 9mm would be a bonus. Would mounting it on an angle be advisable? Any other tips? Thanks!

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am interested in this also as I would like to install an indoor pistol range for private use in a large building I own.
I have not decided whether to buy a commercially made one or build my own.
The idea is to have a curved metal back stop that redirects the bullet down and into a sand trap that actually catches the bullets.

If you are talking about an outdoor set up you really need to be shooting into some type of earth berm or hill that will stop the bullets safely.
If you intend to just use a metal frame to hang targets on you should not, in my opinion, rely on that alone to stop the bullets.

·
Eye Master
4,153 Posts
It was pointed out to me by someone that makes bullet traps that any material will stop a bullet .... if it is thick enough.

THey were selling bullet traps that were steel boxes filled with shredded rubber. THe front of the box was covered with a rubber sheet that would contain all the shreds, so when the bullet went in, it would stop before hitting the back plate.

Art

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
On both issues, I would check with local indoor ranges, both for practical advice and for local ordinances. Once the backstop issue was addressed, and I make this statement having once shot at a police range that had to be closed down when all the instructors developed serious lead poisoning, I would look at the indoor air circulation situation and make sure there was plenty of it- I mean coming in and not just moving around.

Reactions: GARRARD

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greetings,

Thanks for the replies. Use will be private, indoor and very occasional. There is no way the projectile would be able to exit the structure (underground). I'm interested in a metal back stop to prevent any potential scaring of the concrete walls. I've looked at designs using curved, angled and multiple "trap" type systems. At this point just trying to find out what type and thickness of steel would be sufficient to stop a 9mm (maximum, .22LR more likely). All the other details of the design will be worked out after I find this data.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.