M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an SA barrel that guaged out new. It wasn’t the prettiest barrel. After I received the barrel I checked the lead for peeling. The barrel had peeling on all lands you could see with the naked eye.My intent was to put together an all SA gun on a Springfield receiver as I have one from every other manufacturer. I reluctantly went ahead and put it together just to see what it would do. I used one of my reclaimed SA bolts with an ole chrome peeled barrel. I put the action in a nice birch stock. The only accuracy enhancements I did were the NM mod on the front of the stock and shimmed the gas cylinder. I fired several different factory loads. I do all my accuracy testing @ 200 on a man sized steel plate. Portuguese ball was ok. It shot about 3 in 5 shot group @ 200 Belgian ball was a little better at 2 to 2.5 in @ 200. I then fired some reloads I did with the old Hirtenburger brass, CCI 34 primer, 44.5 gr blc2, and pulled 145 gr ball bullets from the old days when I did a bunch of Mexican match. I believe the were Hirtenburger bullets also.To my surprise it put 4 rounds in 1 in and the 5 round made it 1.25 to 1.5 in @ 200. This is with Iron sights from a set of bags. My point here is do you want a pristine usgi barrel with no peeling that won’t shoot or an ole peeled barrel that’s a hammer? You will never know what a barrel will do until you install it and test it. I know Collecters probably won’t shoot them either way but I am a shooter. I use my stuff for what it was made for. The M14 platform has always been my favorite but they can be ticky on how they shoot.

·
Forum Jester
7,093 Posts
nice 25 yard group,how's it do at 100? <ducking>

Reactions: MuppetMeat4Me

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have 2 barrels with a little bit of erosion-not really peeling for less than the first 1/8" of the throat. Gauges less than 1. Curious what the military would do with those? Cause for rejection?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice stock. Did it come from Treeline? If I bought a nice Birch stock it would encourage me to build another rifle, unfortunately I've also had a wish that Boyds(?) would eventually decide to do a production run of M14 Birch stocks, without the selector cut out, of course.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice stock. Did it come from Treeline? If I bought a nice Birch stock it would encourage me to build another rifle, unfortunately I've also had a wish that Boyds(?) would eventually decide to do a production run of M14 Birch stocks, without the selector cut out, of course.
I bought off the forum.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 2 barrels with a little bit of erosion-not really peeling for less than the first 1/8" of the throat. Gauges less than 1. Curious what the military would do with those? Cause for rejection?
Someone else would have to commit on that. I figure if they guaged good they would be ok

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My whole reason for posting This is to make a point. The point is chrome peeled barrels are not junk. They work fine if they guage good they are probably good for a shooter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts