M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from my deployment and I am looking at getting my first M14 like the title said. I am in the Seattle Tacoma and I have found a walnut M1A Scout for about $1450. I would like to know if you guys think this is a good deal or not. Truth be told I would like to buy a less expensive used Scout for less than that. If anyone in the area knows of one being sold I would really appreciate a heads up. Preesh.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Welcome home...GI2

Why not place a add right here in the PX WTB section?

There are good deals to be made with top notch individuals.GITEN

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
What are the specs om the scout? Who was it made by, Springfield or LRB or who? Does it have GI parts or commercial parts?

·
Administrator
17,755 Posts
Welcome home melch79, thank you for you service. DI5

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

I appreciate the welcome back and that is a good idea. I am going to put an add up in the PX area.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome home and welcome to the forum. Lots of info to be had for the research on your purchase. Have a good time.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Oorah! First thing I did when I got out of the Corps was to buy my own M14. I bought an Armscorp and have never regretted it. Turned out to be a real shooter.

Fish around the forums and threads here, learn all you can, get educated, and watch the PX and BX for members rifles for sale. I've seen many really good deals around here. The members here on The Firing Line forum strike me as dedicated shooters who value a rifle for its capabilities and accuracy, as opposed to bells and whistles. Plus, the members here have been sharing or at least exposed to plenty of information about working the kinks out of their rifle, so anything you buy around here would probably have any bugs worked out, or at least identified accurately for you.

$1450 for a Scout strikes me as a pretty average price for a Scout. If you decide to wait a little while, you won't be missing out on any great deal. Take your time first. I once asked a guy about buying a 1903A3 rifle, and he said, " First, go buy a book about the 1903A3." Read a lot of the old posts here first. Pay EXTRA attention to the salty ol' veterans who were armorers and who built National Match M14s back in the day.
Doc
MC1EXPRT1

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You are what great men are made of and make this country great. God bless you and hope you find that sweet rifle of your dreams.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Keep in the back of your mind, too, you're instantly eligible and qualified to purchase a M1 Garand or '03/03A3 (if they have any) from CMP. You know you'll be getting a 100% forged steel & wood U.S. rifle that's GTG. Thanks for your service under U.S. flag.

·
Registered
558 Posts
In terms of a "good deal" and "firearms", I generally follow the school of philosophy of ....

"They are as expensive as they have ever been, and as cheap as they are ever gonna get"....DI5

·
Registered
778 Posts
No '03s or A3's at this time from the CMP. Plenty of M1's tho. you could get 2 them for the same price and have money left over for ammunition to get you started.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for your service over there. Maybe start out with some books about the m14, learn what to look for in a used weapon. Do not get in a hurry to get your first m1a, watch the forum and gunbroker to get a idea on prices. Good Luck!
hogbody74

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome home, thank you for your service. I really cant add much to what has already been posted, I just wanted to say Thank you, and welcome home

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for puttin foot to a$$, living like an animal, always bein on alert, and puttin rounds downrange, so that I can sit on my fat butt in the USA and enjoy it...................

Preciate it..

WELCOME HOME..

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Glad to have you back safe and sound Melch79. From what I saw shopping a new Springfield Scout, in walnut, for $1,450 is a good deal. I shopped all over for a Bush and the best I could do was $1300 barely used. There is a ton of info here, unless you are really familiar with an M14 I'd hold off a bit on buying one until you know for sure which rifle is best for you. You only have about seven years worth of reading on all the forums GI2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts