M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After another of lifes little set backs, I have reaquired another M1 rifle. Although it is an Arlington import (my first ones were Arlingtons back in 1989.) it is in what the CMP would call Service Grade condition. Since all the parts but the rear sight (DRC T105E1) and the birch replacement stock are all early to late WWII parts I do not think it was messed with much over the years, but was one of the better ones to begin with out of that batch. All the metal is GI parked, not the hideous grey that Arlington used on some M1's. Headspace is perfect, the oprod piston, bolt lugs, etc, etc, all mic out as with in spec per my Kunhausen shop book. Passed the tilt test and so forth. So I threw in a new op rod spring ( I highly reccomend Orion 7's S.S. one) just to be sure, and a good cleaning, I went out to the range with some 1970 HXP. Truthfully, I expected hiccups with functioning (remembering my first two Arlington imported M1's) but she kicked everything out very smooth, throwing the empties out to the 2 '0'clock position. Moving back to 100 yards she kept every shot with in 2-1/2" of width, but vertical stringing opened up to about 8". No play in the tight rear handguard so I will fix that and properly peen and reinstall the gas cylinder this weekend(it has just a faint wiggle). The stock could lock up tighter, but it may be a month or two before I get new wood, I can not get any play in the receiver to stock fit, but the easy lock up just does not convince me. She is an 8XX,*** serial number putting her in Sept. 42 production, what is really cool is the SA 7-45 barrel with a TE of 1.5 and a MW of 2. I like the idea of a rifle that saw enough use in WWII that she was rebarrelled at the end of the war. Oprod is a SA -6 curve side with the modified cut.
Triggerguard is milled, wish the lugs were not worn, so will be looking maybe for another unless I get tight lock up in new wood. Hope to post pics soon, I am excited to be shooting an M1 again, this is the 11th one I have owned since 1989, most having been CMP rifles. Bad things may happen, but the Good Lord does bring good things back around. Twice in my life now I have had to sell off my USGI rifles and others. Hopefully not again.

Semper Fi, Rob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts