M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have for sell spot welded recovered drill bolts. These bolts were chosen for the small amount and the depth of the weld. The bolts have been professionally machined back to as closed to spec as possible. These bolts were spot welded on the bolt face and the rear of the bolt. Jigs were built to bring these bolts back to within .001 of the original bolt face. The firing pin hole has been drilled from the rear to make sure it is perfectly centered. The rear of the bolt has been cleaned up also. This has been a hot topic in the past. Some say they are fine and some say they are not. I have searched the net for a year and cannot find a single documented case of a recovered drill bolt failure.I have the first recovered bolt from a year ago. It has more heavily welded than any I have for sell. It has between 500 and 1000 rounds on it with no change in headspace. Make your own decisions. These bolts are offered at 108.30 shipped EA . I have several different makes. No TRWs in the bunch. I have SA, HRT, and Winchester. Some are 85 series and some are 86 series.If by chance you have a drill bolt you want recovered we can do this. Pending pics of the face and rear. Priced will be 75. And shipping both ways. Will also trade for M14 USGI parts. The pics are a cross section of what you will receive. These are the best and the worst of the bunch.The bolts were cold blued after turning to show the welded area. If you are scared to claim one in the thread. PM me.I accept postal money orders and PayPal friends and family no fees. Thanks

Attachments

·
Forum Jester
7,223 Posts
looks good. check recall below to make sure non that you did are in there
SAI Bolt Recall

Springfield Armory, Inc. Recall of M1A Bolts and Safeties
BERETTA MODEL BM-59s, RIFLES and GARAND
MODEL M1As / M1A4s, M1

If you own an M14 type rifle, an M1 Garand type rifle, or Beretta BM-59 rifle, a certain quantity could contain safeties that can be disengaged by applying an abnormal amount of force to the trigger, thus overriding the safety. The guns will not fire when the safety is overridden in this manner, but they will fire when the trigger is released and pulled again under normal pressure.

If you possess a Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A, M1 Garand, or Beretta BM-59, you are urged to perform the following inspection procedure. (Note: before beginning, be sure to unload rifle and point muzzle in a safe direction.)

Begin test procedure with safety in normal "off" position.
Engage the safety.

Using one or two hands, pull the trigger very hard, and then release it. Repeat this procedure several times.

If at any time during this test procedure you detect any forward movement in the safety, remove only the trigger group and return it to Springfield Armory, Inc.

WARNING: If during the above test procedure the safety moves forward on your rifle, you are urged to remove only the trigger group and return it immediately to Springfield Armory using either of the following procedures:

Write to Springfield Armory requesting special mailing label, shipping container, and return instructions. Write to:
Springfield Armory, Inc.
RE-1 420 West Main Street
Geneseo, IL 61254

Or, call Springfield Armory on this toll-free number and request return instructions: 1-800-223-5708. Illinois residents call collect: (309) 944-5631.
M1A Bolts

Some M1A bolts manufactured by Springfield Armory, Inc. might not function reliably. If you have a Springfield Armory M1A bolt with any of the following markings, contact Springfield Armory, Inc. as outlined in steps A or B above for replacement.

The bolts in question are marked as follows:

No numerical or alphabetical characteristics on either top or back of bolt (completely unmarked).
Any bolt with any numerical or alphabetical markings at all on the back of the bolt.

Any bolt with the top marked "7790185" and with "SA RRR" centered below that number.

Any bolt with the top marked "790185" and with "SA" centered below that number.

Springfield Armory, Inc. regrets any inconvenience caused by the return of any firearm affected by this notice. Repairs will be completed in the shortest possible time, and all service, parts, and shipping costs will be the responsibility of Springfield Armory, Inc.

Source:

Guns & Ammo, December 1987; page 91
Guns & Ammo, March 1988; page 14
Shooting Times, January 1988; page 67
California Department of Justice Firearms Safety Note 88-1

Yes and no. Per M14 Rifle History and Development at www.imageseek.com/m1a:

"Bolt Markings - A USGI bolt (and receiver) will have a dimple from a prick punch after successful proof round testing. Replacement bolts were proof round tested using a fixture. Frankford Arsenal and Lake City loaded the proof rounds to 65,000 psi. An inscribed letter M on a USGI bolt means it was examined by magnetic particle inspection. Not all USGI bolts will have the letter M though. USGI M14 bolts have additional stamps besides the part number and bolt manufacturer. The other markings are heat treatment and steel lot numbers. Such an example can be found on a bolt marked 7790186 HRT A20 CDR. These are in order: 1) part number 2) manufacturer code 3) heat treatment lot number and 4) steel supplier code. If a manufacturer had only one steel supplier then just the heat treating lot was stamped on the bolt. Other manufacturers consolidated their markings to include both heat treatment lot and steel maker.

The U. S. government Springfield Armory bolt markings can be confused with commercial reproduction Springfield Armory, Inc. bolts. The U. S. government Springfield Armory stamped its bolts in one of two ways, one format for 7790185 bolts and another format for 7790186 bolts. If the bolt was made by the U. S. government Springfield Armory and it is marked 7790185 it will have the following: 7790185-SA on the first line and the heat treatment lot number on the second line, e.g., YO2. U. S. government Springfield Armory bolts made to the 7790186 drawing have this identification scheme: 7790186 on the first line followed and then SA and the heat treatment lot number on the second line, e.g., Z1B. USGI M14 bolts made by Winchester have its CAGE Code, 66118, on the second line whether stamped 7790185 or 7790186 on the first line. Textile Machine Works M14 bolts can have the manufacturer code, HRT, either on the first line or the second line of the bolt markings.

There are bolts with counterfeit markings. Ron Smith of Smith Enterprise, Inc. has seen two M14 bolts stamped TRW that were not made by TRW. Genuine unaltered commercial Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A bolts do not have a prick punch dimple. All USGI bolts were phosphate coated. Any M14 bolt that is bare steel or has a finish other than phosphate coating was not produced that way by the USGI contractor so buyer beware! The bolt installed in the M14 type rifle should be able to pass the slide test as discussed in Kuhnhausen’s manual and have proper lug engagement and proper headspace prior to use."

and

"Bolt - Springfield Armory, Inc. bolts are typically marked 7790186-SA on the first line and A00030, B00048 or F00059 or similar number on the second line. They may have markings such as D and M3 on the rear end and A9 or B1 on the bottom surface. The letter A prefix for the number under 7790186-SA means the bolt was cast then finish machined. The letter B prefix for the number under 7790186-SA means the bolt was machined from bar stock. The letter F prefix for the number under 7790186-SA means the bolt is forged. See 1987 Springfield Armory, Inc. Recall Notice for additional markings. M1A bolts are not made by metal injection molding. Around receiver serial number 165XXX, Springfield Armory, Inc. factory installed bolts have letters and numerals with a taller and thinner font than the style found on USGI M14 bolts.

Operating Rod - On Springfield Armory, Inc. operating rods, look for either: 1) 7267064 on the first line and SA centered below it or 2) 7267064-2 on the first line and SA centered below it. The first example is the earlier of the two markings. Springfield Armory, Inc. operating rods may or may not have a notch under the handle like USGI operating rods. Before 1996, Springfield Armory, Inc. operating rods did not have a notch under the handle. Sometime between 1996 and 1999, the notch under the handle was added to its operating rods. For clarity, U. S. government Springfield Armory operating rods are marked 7267064 SA all on one line and are machined with the notch under the handle."

Reactions: stoky and rallred

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks good. check recall below to make sure non that you did are in there
SAI Bolt Recall

Springfield Armory, Inc. Recall of M1A Bolts and Safeties
BERETTA MODEL BM-59s, RIFLES and GARAND
MODEL M1As / M1A4s, M1

If you own an M14 type rifle, an M1 Garand type rifle, or Beretta BM-59 rifle, a certain quantity could contain safeties that can be disengaged by applying an abnormal amount of force to the trigger, thus overriding the safety. The guns will not fire when the safety is overridden in this manner, but they will fire when the trigger is released and pulled again under normal pressure.

If you possess a Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A, M1 Garand, or Beretta BM-59, you are urged to perform the following inspection procedure. (Note: before beginning, be sure to unload rifle and point muzzle in a safe direction.)

Begin test procedure with safety in normal "off" position.
Engage the safety.

Using one or two hands, pull the trigger very hard, and then release it. Repeat this procedure several times.

If at any time during this test procedure you detect any forward movement in the safety, remove only the trigger group and return it to Springfield Armory, Inc.

WARNING: If during the above test procedure the safety moves forward on your rifle, you are urged to remove only the trigger group and return it immediately to Springfield Armory using either of the following procedures:

Write to Springfield Armory requesting special mailing label, shipping container, and return instructions. Write to:
Springfield Armory, Inc.
RE-1 420 West Main Street
Geneseo, IL 61254

Or, call Springfield Armory on this toll-free number and request return instructions: 1-800-223-5708. Illinois residents call collect: (309) 944-5631.
M1A Bolts

Some M1A bolts manufactured by Springfield Armory, Inc. might not function reliably. If you have a Springfield Armory M1A bolt with any of the following markings, contact Springfield Armory, Inc. as outlined in steps A or B above for replacement.

The bolts in question are marked as follows:

No numerical or alphabetical characteristics on either top or back of bolt (completely unmarked).
Any bolt with any numerical or alphabetical markings at all on the back of the bolt.

Any bolt with the top marked "7790185" and with "SA RRR" centered below that number.

Any bolt with the top marked "790185" and with "SA" centered below that number.

Springfield Armory, Inc. regrets any inconvenience caused by the return of any firearm affected by this notice. Repairs will be completed in the shortest possible time, and all service, parts, and shipping costs will be the responsibility of Springfield Armory, Inc.

Source:

Guns & Ammo, December 1987; page 91
Guns & Ammo, March 1988; page 14
Shooting Times, January 1988; page 67
California Department of Justice Firearms Safety Note 88-1

Yes and no. Per M14 Rifle History and Development at www.imageseek.com/m1a:

"Bolt Markings - A USGI bolt (and receiver) will have a dimple from a prick punch after successful proof round testing. Replacement bolts were proof round tested using a fixture. Frankford Arsenal and Lake City loaded the proof rounds to 65,000 psi. An inscribed letter M on a USGI bolt means it was examined by magnetic particle inspection. Not all USGI bolts will have the letter M though. USGI M14 bolts have additional stamps besides the part number and bolt manufacturer. The other markings are heat treatment and steel lot numbers. Such an example can be found on a bolt marked 7790186 HRT A20 CDR. These are in order: 1) part number 2) manufacturer code 3) heat treatment lot number and 4) steel supplier code. If a manufacturer had only one steel supplier then just the heat treating lot was stamped on the bolt. Other manufacturers consolidated their markings to include both heat treatment lot and steel maker.

The U. S. government Springfield Armory bolt markings can be confused with commercial reproduction Springfield Armory, Inc. bolts. The U. S. government Springfield Armory stamped its bolts in one of two ways, one format for 7790185 bolts and another format for 7790186 bolts. If the bolt was made by the U. S. government Springfield Armory and it is marked 7790185 it will have the following: 7790185-SA on the first line and the heat treatment lot number on the second line, e.g., YO2. U. S. government Springfield Armory bolts made to the 7790186 drawing have this identification scheme: 7790186 on the first line followed and then SA and the heat treatment lot number on the second line, e.g., Z1B. USGI M14 bolts made by Winchester have its CAGE Code, 66118, on the second line whether stamped 7790185 or 7790186 on the first line. Textile Machine Works M14 bolts can have the manufacturer code, HRT, either on the first line or the second line of the bolt markings.

There are bolts with counterfeit markings. Ron Smith of Smith Enterprise, Inc. has seen two M14 bolts stamped TRW that were not made by TRW. Genuine unaltered commercial Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A bolts do not have a prick punch dimple. All USGI bolts were phosphate coated. Any M14 bolt that is bare steel or has a finish other than phosphate coating was not produced that way by the USGI contractor so buyer beware! The bolt installed in the M14 type rifle should be able to pass the slide test as discussed in Kuhnhausen’s manual and have proper lug engagement and proper headspace prior to use."

and

"Bolt - Springfield Armory, Inc. bolts are typically marked 7790186-SA on the first line and A00030, B00048 or F00059 or similar number on the second line. They may have markings such as D and M3 on the rear end and A9 or B1 on the bottom surface. The letter A prefix for the number under 7790186-SA means the bolt was cast then finish machined. The letter B prefix for the number under 7790186-SA means the bolt was machined from bar stock. The letter F prefix for the number under 7790186-SA means the bolt is forged. See 1987 Springfield Armory, Inc. Recall Notice for additional markings. M1A bolts are not made by metal injection molding. Around receiver serial number 165XXX, Springfield Armory, Inc. factory installed bolts have letters and numerals with a taller and thinner font than the style found on USGI M14 bolts.

Operating Rod - On Springfield Armory, Inc. operating rods, look for either: 1) 7267064 on the first line and SA centered below it or 2) 7267064-2 on the first line and SA centered below it. The first example is the earlier of the two markings. Springfield Armory, Inc. operating rods may or may not have a notch under the handle like USGI operating rods. Before 1996, Springfield Armory, Inc. operating rods did not have a notch under the handle. Sometime between 1996 and 1999, the notch under the handle was added to its operating rods. For clarity, U. S. government Springfield Armory operating rods are marked 7267064 SA all on one line and are machined with the notch under the handle."
These are all USGI bolts.No SAI Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good info. These are all military bolts, not SAI. None are believed to be counterfeit. They are sold as is. Buyer beware, but we have been using bolts like these for a year with no issues. BTW, I'm the one who recovered these bolts.

·
Forum Jester
7,223 Posts
check the numbers anyway. the bolts i got back in the 80's was from nesard in barrington illinois,a major m14 surplus parts supplier.(lost their butt in the waco incident in texas).
turned them into springfield armory and they sent me 2 replacements.

Reactions: rallred

·
Registered
759 Posts
Very interesting.

How was the face milled?

I would have expected the tool to mark the bolt face on a wider area.

·
Registered
657 Posts
No offense but I do not see any dimples on the bolts shown there. I recovered several bolts and all are in my rifles now...mostly TRWs and fewer SA and 2 HRN. They all have dimples and all are original colors.

Majority were almost new. The rest were all used. And most did not have the tails welded.

At some point we will soon run out of useable true USGI bolts and may have to recover some welded bolts. I use recovered bolts now in all my rifles so I can save the original ones for later use. I have fired them for years in USGI barrels and Fulton receivers and all headspace well within specs closer to .308 SAAMI than the 7.62 NATO.

Looking nice. I hope the holes are within specs and not too loose.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No offense but I do not see any dimples on the bolts shown there. I recovered several bolts and all are in my rifles now...mostly TRWs and fewer SA and 2 HRN. They all have dimples and all are original colors.

Majority were almost new. The rest were all used. And most did not have the tails welded.

At some point we will soon run out of useable true USGI bolts and may have to recover some welded bolts. I use recovered bolts now in all my rifles so I can save the original ones for later use. I have fired them for years in USGI barrels and Fulton receivers and all headspace well within specs closer to .308 SAAMI than the 7.62 NATO.

Looking nice. I hope the holes are within specs and not too loose.
They are all GI.They all have the hardness prick. There was a coat of oil on the first batch. They are all tested for firing pin fit, firing pin protrusion, and headspace in a known receiver and barrel combination. Thanks

NEW BORNS

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update getting low on SA bolts. Still have a few HR and Win. Just got 2nd shipment. These over all are a little better than the first batch. I have sold several. If buyers are not scared to post reviews should be forth coming. A few pics from New reborn bolts from tonight. Enjoy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,164 Posts
Had to check them out so I ordered a couple. One each SA and HRT. Arrived today and first impression is that he has done a very nice job. Bolts came stripped and they accepted internals nicely with firing pin protrusion in the right area. These look so nice I think I may request a few more for the stash.

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/nf1e130/Drill%20bolts%201.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/nf1e130/Drill%20bolts%202.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/nf1e130/Drill%20bolts%203.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/nf1e130/Drill%20bolts%204.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These pics are of the first bolt we recovered.over a year ago. It is an HR bolt. You can see by the silver part of the bolt face that it was more heavily welded than any we have for sell. This bolt has more than 500 rds and closer to 1000rds of nato ball ammo on it.I had it parked black. It headspaced @1.631in one of my shooter rifles. To this day it is the same headspace. I have sold several of these reclaims with good feedback to me. Use your own judgement. I think they are a good value for a good product.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
I have to say I ordered a couple and was quite impressed with them,seem to be machined well and I cant for see any problems running them.The internals fit perfect and the firing pin protrusion was in spec.I fitted them both to a few rifles I had and they headspaced fine.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts