Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Well it's been awhile (November to be specific) since I've been here but
there was:

1) Deer season, the deer won BTW
2) Winter, too cold for the range
3) Holidaze, hope y'all had good ones !.

I did get out to the range one more time and while I haven't managed any
consistent groupings yet,they're all landing center of mass at 100 yds.
More practice, come on spring.

Anyway, most of my "Loaded" goodies have come in from SA. I splurged for both the 6X40 (with the mount/rings kit) as well as the 6->20 monster.
I figure one can always go on my .308 bolt action.
From what I've read here and elsewhere, most folks are not too keen on the SA mount. Before I go through the trouble of packing the rifle off to
the gunsmith to have the SA mount attached, I'd like your learned input as to other mounts. I've seen the ARMS mount mentioned more than once.
What's the $$$ damage?. Heck, I'm already 2K into this, what's another
dent in the paycheck :roll:
Does the ARMS require stock removal as well?, can someone describe how it mounts vs. the SA unit. I read the instructions for the SA mount and cringed (beat on my weapon with a mallet!) shudder.

I believe Fulton Armory stocks the ARMS and they're right down the street from where I work (assuming I still have a job by month's end which is another story).

Look forward to hearing from ya, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hi Antne:

The ARMS mounts are good and I really like them... it has three mounting points, the main bolt (in the side of the receiver), the dovetail (which will require you to remove the existing stripper guide) and a pad in the front (which lowers) for stability.

Mine have mounted with no problems. Depending on your receiver (and each one is different) it should mate up as is. Once mounted with Locktite, it will be solid and should NOT shift your POI. To use the irons, just simply remove the scope. So I recommend QD rings... I like the ARMS #22 set. The mount itself is about $157 and the rings will be about $99... when compared to other quality products like Smith, Badger and Brookfield (very rare now), it is a good deal...

Now... the mounts have recently changed... the original ARMS #18 had two separate scope mounting points and now, the new ARMS #18 has a single rail...

As of today, I just traded a NIW ARMS #18 (old style) with Crash -CAF- who specifically wanted one (lucky I had one new...) and traded for his ARMS #18 (new style with the single rail). I wanted this one just so I could see what the differences might be... but I am sure I will be pleased in any case...

I got a few pics of an arms setup... see the bottom of this procedure that I worked on some time ago... http://home.hawaii.rr.com/dighawaii/Bipod Page Amended Version.htm .

It clearly shows you what the ARMS #18 (old style) will look like...mounted...

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for the info and the link. The ARMS mount is certainly more
'streamined' than the SA unit. I will check with my FFL and Fulton Armory
as to availablity.

Also appreciated the link for the Harris bipod adapter information as well;
that's another 'to do' for my rifle as well. I noticed that your pictures show
what looks like a flash supresor as compared to the muzzle break that
mine came equipped with, any info on that?.

Want to trade some pineapples for 6" of snow? <g>.

Tony

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hahaha, Antne:

No thanks... on the snow! Maybe in a snow cone though... I love those... we call it shaved ice here... but if you really get hunkering for a pineapple... just give a holler... :lol:

On the FH in the pics... that is the standard issue style FH that is normally issued on M1A's... however, SA makes and distributes a suppressor to substitute for the (evil) Flash Hider... :lol: I believe, mainly for CA residents... I have both... and both work well... one not better in accuracy than the other... so use what looks best to you... within the confines of your local laws...

Oh yeah, before I forget, Hawk has expanded and does NM reaming to a FH to NM specs and will also do park work on it as well... in case you missed that one while on your "vacation"... playing with the deer....

Now, get to work!!! Let's see some pics of your rifle... (that was my best imatation of Lee Ermy)... :lol: Not convinced... I shoulda threw a few "maggot"s here and there that woulda done it...

Both of those scopes that you bought should be outstanding... with very clear optics... careful with the turret screws, they strip and back out easy... I like locktite when I know where I want the zero to be...

Have fun!... lots of developments have occurred since November... so get settled in... we expect to hear lots about how you and your setup are doing... :lol:

Aloha and Best Wishes!

Tom O.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tom,

How 'bout a pineapple sno cone??? :lol:
More snow in the forecast tomorrow, groan. Maybe should've bought that Jeep earlier this year.

In any event, I'll be getting with my buddy with his digital camera to get some pix out. You know, I just got all the long arms laid out on the carpet
two days ago, which would have been a perfect photo op.
I thanked the Founding Fathers for the 2nd Amendement and wondered if the west coast weird sisters (Boxer & Feinstein) suddenly shot their antennae up. :twisted:

I'll look back through the forum to see what Hawk has been doing and keep y'all posted. I'm up for membership in a local gun club with their own
range so I'll have access to two now. Further from the house but still outdoors, brrr. For the moment I have some smooth Kona from the Ferrari
plantations (your neck of the woods) to keep me warm.

All for now, promise to stay in touch more ofter.

Tony

Lee is one bad a** DI.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tom,

I've been lurking here and read your Arms mount info. You just convinced me to buy one. You haven't had any POI problems with taking the scope off and on?

Larry

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hi HueyDoctor:

Using the ARMS #18 (old style) and an ARMS #22 ring set has worked for me really well... I have taken the scope off the rifle often and it has come back to zero or really close to it... the groups are still solid and in good pattern identifying that the mount is solid and has not loosened up... but the group may be up to 1/2" away... from the original zero before removing the scope... usually requiring a click or two to get back to the original zero...

But I cannot substantiate any of these things scientifically... I have never taken any real notes on this stuff... the above is more my observations over the last six months...

I've been pretty happy with the ARMS equipment, especially considering the quality alternatives... the Smith mount alone is over $200... so I have never tested a Smith or a Brookfield, etc...

I hope this helps... Good luck on your setup...

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts