M14 Forum banner

Available receivers?

4K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  gas_gunner 
#1 ·
OK...help me out here.... What receivers are currently available and in production? I am tracking the following:

1. Smith Enterprises
2. LRB
3. Rock-o-la (James River)
4. Armscorp
5. Fulton Armory (built by Armscorp, as I recall)

Who did I miss?

#4 ·
I guess my question is what sort of tracking are you doing and why?

What is your mission?

Hobo
Well, I guess my desired end state is to choose a receiver to replace a badly out-of-spec Armscorp receiver I purchased as a used, completed rifle. My semi-sorta half-assed plan is to buy a new reciever and use my current rifle as the parts kit for a new build. Based on what I am seeing, Fulton seems to be at the low end price wise, with LRB and Smith closer to the top.

#5 ·
OK...help me out here.... What receivers are currently available and in production? I am tracking the following:

1. Smith Enterprises
2. LRB
3. Rock-o-la (James River)
4. Armscorp
5. Fulton Armory (built by Armscorp, as I recall)
6. Springfield Armory Inc.

Who did I miss?
I can think of one more just off the cuff.

DI5

Reactions: MCB
#9 ·
receivers

SAI does not generally offer receivers to the public any more. I have seen a few pop up on GB recently (but priced at SEI $800 levels). Before Sandy Hook, they offered receivers to match shooters thru a shooting supply retailer. They may offer them to shooters at Camp Perry.

Fulton does not have the resale value as the others mentioned.

SAI M1a's have come down in price (GB wise) and may be prudent (if you have the expertise) to buy the whole rifle and reassemble with the best parts between the two and resell what's left over.

#11 ·
I have done no hassle business with LRB when I bought a USGI Springfield M14 parts kit as well as other assorted M-14 bits and pieces through the years. If were in the market for the best of the best in a currently produced forged M14 receiver it would be an LRB.

I've seen good reports on the Rock-Ola on this forum and I trust the guys and their oppinions of their Rock-Ola builds. But as of yet, I have no personal experience with them or their customer service but I wish them well in their venture. I have two excellent heel stamped and two side stamped forged Poly-Techs but they aren't currently available in this country so they do not meet your criteria.

7th

#12 ·
Just got back from Perry pistol week and SAI had a few receivers out.
One on the table last day was $400. Very recent production with the laser etching and was a 2nd with unknown defect.

#15 ·
I checked with 7.62 firearms a couple of weeks ago and Chris said he had a couple of consecutive ser# receivers ready to go for me. I think I will stop by his shop when I leave Camp Perry, as I did last year.

#17 ·
Smith is a gamble in my book. Meaning if you're unhappy, like you are with your Armscorp, you may have a hard time getting them to take you seriously with your concerns.

LRB is the highest price, but you will be very happy with the product you receive.

Rock-Ola I have heard great reviews about, but have no first hand experience with.

Armscorp is no longer in production.

Fulton Armory is good to go from what I've heard.

If I wanted a receiver today I'd order from JRA or FA. If I wanted a special build, LRB would be my choice.

#24 ·
It is out of spec in at least two areas. First off, it is out of spec internally where the trigger group locks in. It locks in so tightly that I broke one trigger guard just trying to get the trigger group out of the rifle. This is regardless of the stock. I have tried this rifle in two USGI wood stocks (One birch, one walnut) and a USGI fiberglass. Same type of fit. I ultimately had to relieve the inside of the trigger guard hooks that lock into the receiver.

Secondly, the scope mounting area is out of spec. I have tried two different mounts (and A.R.M.S. 18 and a Sadlak), two different sets of rings (Leupold and Burris WITH offset rings) and two different scopes (Leupold and Redfield), and windage is off at 100 yards by a matter of FEET, with POI being to the right. It shoots fine with irons.

#26 ·
Neither of my Armscorps will fit in a USGI fiberglass stock. The back legs are straight and should have a slight angle to them so they can "rotate" in. Both fit fine in wood stocks and my shooter is glass bedded in wood and it goes in and out (seldom) OK & tight. Doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is.

Edit: should have asked if your trigger group was USGI?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.