M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...help me out here.... What receivers are currently available and in production? I am tracking the following:

1. Smith Enterprises
2. LRB
3. Rock-o-la (James River)
4. Armscorp
5. Fulton Armory (built by Armscorp, as I recall)

Who did I miss?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess my question is what sort of tracking are you doing and why?

What is your mission?

Hobo
Well, I guess my desired end state is to choose a receiver to replace a badly out-of-spec Armscorp receiver I purchased as a used, completed rifle. My semi-sorta half-assed plan is to buy a new reciever and use my current rifle as the parts kit for a new build. Based on what I am seeing, Fulton seems to be at the low end price wise, with LRB and Smith closer to the top.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,621 Posts
OK...help me out here.... What receivers are currently available and in production? I am tracking the following:

1. Smith Enterprises
2. LRB
4. Armscorp
6. Springfield Armory Inc.

Who did I miss?
I can think of one more just off the cuff.

DI5

Reactions: MCB

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
receivers

SAI does not generally offer receivers to the public any more. I have seen a few pop up on GB recently (but priced at SEI $800 levels). Before Sandy Hook, they offered receivers to match shooters thru a shooting supply retailer. They may offer them to shooters at Camp Perry.

Fulton does not have the resale value as the others mentioned.

SAI M1a's have come down in price (GB wise) and may be prudent (if you have the expertise) to buy the whole rifle and reassemble with the best parts between the two and resell what's left over.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
In that order?
Fulton Armory and James River Armory are a tie for first place. FA receivers have always built super easy for me and are cheaper. JRA is forged and also excellent quality. Customer service from both is exemplary. All my future builds will be using JRA receivers, but I would suggest FA to others who are trying to keep build costs down while not sacrificing anything in terms of quality. Basically whether you want forged or cast.

LRB is more expensive and nothing I've used for personal builds. I've built a few for other GA residents, but not for myself. $1000 is too much for a receiver in my opinion. Lots of folks are very loyal to LRB. I'm not one of them.

SEI and their distributor Croc are not customer friendly. I would not do business with them nor suggest others do so.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I have done no hassle business with LRB when I bought a USGI Springfield M14 parts kit as well as other assorted M-14 bits and pieces through the years. If were in the market for the best of the best in a currently produced forged M14 receiver it would be an LRB.

I've seen good reports on the Rock-Ola on this forum and I trust the guys and their oppinions of their Rock-Ola builds. But as of yet, I have no personal experience with them or their customer service but I wish them well in their venture. I have two excellent heel stamped and two side stamped forged Poly-Techs but they aren't currently available in this country so they do not meet your criteria.

7th

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Just got back from Perry pistol week and SAI had a few receivers out.
One on the table last day was $400. Very recent production with the laser etching and was a 2nd with unknown defect.

·
Premium Member
18,859 Posts
I checked with 7.62 firearms a couple of weeks ago and Chris said he had a couple of consecutive ser# receivers ready to go for me. I think I will stop by his shop when I leave Camp Perry, as I did last year.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Smith is a gamble in my book. Meaning if you're unhappy, like you are with your Armscorp, you may have a hard time getting them to take you seriously with your concerns.

LRB is the highest price, but you will be very happy with the product you receive.

Rock-Ola I have heard great reviews about, but have no first hand experience with.

Armscorp is no longer in production.

Fulton Armory is good to go from what I've heard.

If I wanted a receiver today I'd order from JRA or FA. If I wanted a special build, LRB would be my choice.

1. Smith Enterprises
2. LRB
4. Armscorp

Who did I miss?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I checked with 7.62 firearms a couple of weeks ago and Chris said he had a couple of consecutive ser# receivers ready to go for me. I think I will stop by his shop when I leave Camp Perry, as I did last year.
If you see the thief, ask him to send me back the junk receiver he was supposed to give me a refund for..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts