M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I might throw this up to get the opinion of the experts on the genuineness of this E2 butt plate assembly and I need you to give it to me straight, don't worry about hurting my feelings.
The maker and stock no. stamp was positioned above the roll pin in plain site instead of on the back side of the flange as was the case with APEX and MFG 02108, two known USGI butt plate assem.
Another suspicious tooling difference is in the absence of the two dimples on either side of the folding plate itself where it hinges on the roll pin in order to "lock" in the open or close position, a common trait among commercially made butt plates. There is however a number heavily stamped on the underside of the plate itself, which matches the number on the GI plate.
Last, but not least is the finish, and because of the limitations of photography and the fact that the plate assem. appears to have been refinished (or painted) for some odd reason, it may or may not be obvious to everyone that the flange has the appearance of a casting, ergo the possible reason for refinishing. I say that only because I have never seen a USGI flange that was casted. All in all I am not impressed with the overall quality, even from the lowest bidder.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Have never seen one like that. The refinishing job usually means hiding something. Font on the buttplate flap is pretty heavy but the font seems to match although it is at a slant. My vote is not USGI. People will do anything to make it look authentic. Never know though

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mod M1A-A1

for the right price,sure
Yea I know it's up there, about a bill higher than a certain individual wants to pay for it, but he has more money than God and I have paid my dues with him.

You know what I think would be a real handy addition to that stock configuration, a forward USGI folding grip off an E2, and with minimal modification.

Doesn't that sound like a winner?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Content

I like it. Looks like you prob have enough parts to get it done..
Well, not quite, and besides in the last 20 or so years I have really come to appreciate the more traditional (original) configurations of the rifle. The folder has been with me even longer, and although I am intrigued by some of the new fangled "improvements" like the JAE stock and others, I still have a tough time warming up to plastic, but that's not to say there's no room for improvement. The rifle is what it is, and it is the culmination of many years of ingenuity and design by minds much more advanced than my own. So I am content to leave it alone for the most part.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My .02 .
It looks repro to me .I have never seen the aluminum part marked that way before.
The type I have seen in the past were marked on the rear,where it mates up to the wood.
The flappers on USGI units that I have had/have have divets like in your picture. The repros do not and that is why they do not give that distinct click when they are flipped up.

·
Premium Member
6,952 Posts
Thought I might throw this up to get the opinion of the experts on the genuineness of this E2 butt plate assembly and I need you to give it to me straight, don't worry about hurting my feelings.
The maker and stock no. stamp was positioned above the roll pin in plain site instead of on the back side of the flange as was the case with APEX and MFG 02108, two known USGI butt plate assem.
Another suspicious tooling difference is in the absence of the two dimples on either side of the folding plate itself where it hinges on the roll pin in order to "lock" in the open or close position, a common trait among commercially made butt plates. There is however a number heavily stamped on the underside of the plate itself, which matches the number on the GI plate.
Last, but not least is the finish, and because of the limitations of photography and the fact that the plate assem. appears to have been refinished (or painted) for some odd reason, it may or may not be obvious to everyone that the flange has the appearance of a casting, ergo the possible reason for refinishing. I say that only because I have never seen a USGI flange that was casted. All in all I am not impressed with the overall quality, even from the lowest bidder.

What do you think?

I will today or tomorrow Take my E2 stocks apart and take detailed photographs of each individual part to compare with yours.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
It's real USGI, there is a thread on here somewhere about it, 1980's manufacture if I remember correctly. I think it was Bill Ricca or different that had the info.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
With real GI parts getting so hard to find and expensive, I'd be happy to settle for a repro E2 butt plate assembly. Anyone have on available?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting

It's real USGI, there is a thread on here somewhere about it, 1980's manufacture if I remember correctly. I think it was Bill Ricca or different that had the info.
Really, a US gov't contract in the 80s on parts for a rather specialized stock, while sitting on a huge inventory of standard stocks for a rifle that was replaced by the M16 in the late 60s?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With real GI parts getting so hard to find and expensive, I'd be happy to settle for a repro E2 butt plate assembly. Anyone have on available?
You may change your mind Ted if you knew how much it cost.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really, sorry I tried to help-----yea it was a replacement contract part.
tnw50cal, your help is very appreciated! Guess I shouldn't be so surprised or unthankful on how our tax money is spent.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
My .02 .

The flappers on USGI units that I have had/have have divets like in your picture. The repros do not and that is why they do not give that distinct click when they are flipped up.
See in the first picture the divets on the inside of the 2 arms of the flip up buttplate-repos don't have those.

So, Phinehas when you flip that buttplate up does it have a distinct click?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See in the first picture the divets on the inside of the 2 arms of the flip up buttplate-repos don't have those.

So, Phinehas when you flip that buttplate up does it have a distinct click?

Yes I noticed the inside cuts and yes it does "lock" in the open and close position.

So what we have here is kinda like a replacement slide on a WW2 Colt 1911A1 where there is a stamping on the right side of the slide indicating a replacement slide instead of the original one that came with the frame and are sometimes even numbered to the frame.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Had this picture from the thread I talked about--sooner or latter I find the thread--also the name of manufacturer--MTC. Been over a year since I found the thread. Oh and that's what it looks like without paint.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had this picture from the thread I talked about--sooner or latter I find the thread--also the name of manufacturer--MTC. Been over a year since I found the thread. Oh and that's what it looks like without paint.
Nice retrieval tnw50cal, do you know what was said about it or can I access the thread too?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts