M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Interesting that in June 1966 they are armed with M16 rifles instead of their own version of the FAL. Makes me wonder under what circumstances they were equipped with those rifles. I'm thinking their forces in Vietnam were at that time equipped with their FAL.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Interesting that in June 1966 they are armed with M16 rifles instead of their own version of the FAL. Makes me wonder under what circumstances they were equipped with those rifles. I'm thinking their forces in Vietnam were at that time equipped with their FAL.
In VN, their forces were equipped with a combination of FAL’s and M16’s. They seemed to embrace the two weapon concept which the US at least officially rejected.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
In VN, their forces were equipped with a combination of FAL’s and M16’s. They seemed to embrace the two weapon concept which the US at least officially rejected.
My point is that only a portion of U.S. forces in Vietnam were at that point in time equipped with the M16. I find it odd that Australian forces fighting in another country would have been equipped with the M16. The only source for those rifles at that time was the U.S., so I'm still curious how they came to have them.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
My point is that only a portion of U.S. forces in Vietnam were at that point in time equipped with the M16. I find it odd that Australian forces fighting in another country would have been equipped with the M16. The only source for those rifles at that time was the U.S., so I'm still curious how they came to have them.
I don’t know how the Australians obtained their M16’s during
that timeframe. They might have obtained them through foreign military aid channels or possibly by contracting directly with Colt. I suspect the latter. Since they weren’t intending on replacing all their existing rifles, they didn’t need large quantities of M16’s to equip their forces with at least some M16’s.

In the movie “Danger Close” based on the Battle of Long Tan in Aug 66, Australian troops were depicted as having a mixture FAL’s, M16’s and SMG’s.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I don't believe you can accept that a movie accurately depicts reality.

Perhaps Australia contracted directly with Colt, but I do know that Australia, Korea, Thailand, etc. all received "incentives" to provide assistance in Vietnam so who knows exactly what was provided, and when.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I don't believe you can accept that a movie accurately depicts reality.
Yep, I agree. However, all the small arms depicted in that movie were consistent with the small arms fielded by the Australians during the course of the VN War. I just can’t verify that they had received M16’s by the time of the battle.

I was surprised to find that the Australians in VN were issued both M1911’s and Hi Powers. I would have expected that they would have only issued Hi Powers.

·
Administrator
18,173 Posts
The Australian, 7th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, landed in Vietnam 2nd March 1967 till 26th April 1968, 2nd tour was from 10th Feb. 1970 till 10th of March 1971. I have a friend who was with the 4th FA Regiment and 12th FA Regiment from 1967 to 1968. I asked him if he ever saw any M16's with his FA Regiments.

XXIV Corps

Reactions: rickgman

·
Administrator
18,173 Posts
The reply from my Australian FA friend. "I didn’t have the M16 but the 7.62 Australian L1A1 SLR, a derivative of the Belgian FN rifle. It was unbreakable but very heavy at 10lbs. The Australian regiments used the M16 from 1967 by the forward scouts and section commanders. We were only an artillery detachment for the full term of the Vietnam conflict from 66 to 72 and only NCO’s, LP and Radar section commanders. The SLR remained the major rifle for the duration of the conflict. "

XXIV Corps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts