M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a good deal on a mint condition lee enfield issued to aussie army, has the battalion numbers and some kind of disk (armorers?) on the butt. 150 bucks, should i get it? hows ammo these days?

-Chris

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
It's hard to find any decent Enfield for $150 anymore... GI8

Be careful, I always say Enfields are like Lay's potato chips...

Most of the cheap surplus .303 seems to have dried up but I think you can still find new ammo like Prvi Partisan, and of course Winchester makes brass if you are a reloader.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should see this rifle, it really is in mint condition, and the bore is bright and crisp unlike any i have ever seen from a surplus this old. i think this rifle is dated 1912, i could be wrong though.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I'd get it, can you post pictures. 303 is very hard to come buy cheap.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, its my buddies, so ill try and post some pictures. The trigger is wonderful too, all orginial. Very beautiful rifle.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
you should see this rifle, it really is in mint condition, and the bore is bright and crisp unlike any i have ever seen from a surplus this old. I think this rifle is dated 1912, i could be wrong though.
grab it!!!

Cx

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know its hard to judge without pictures, but any idea how much one of these rifles are worth?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The cheapest prices I have seen for rather rough and probably shot-out Enfields is in the $150 range with most near $200 or over. If it is in as pristine condition as you describe it seems like a bargain to me.

Now, I will make you ill. In 1967 my wife gave me a No1 for my birthday. It was absolutely pristine. BEAUTIFUL! She paid <$20 for it! I STUPIDLY! "sporterized" it. Read that "butchered." DUMB!!! I just made myself ill!

CX

·
Registered
540 Posts
Do it!!!that's a steal at $150.00.a few months ago i was lucky enough to pick up an unissued No.4 mk.2,numbers put it as a irish contract rifle.I love it,it's a great shooter.Surplus ammo is getting kinda hard to find and prices have gone up for 303.I bought some winchester and privi in bulk a few months ago since thats all i could find.the privi stuff is not bad at all,hope you decide to pick it up.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Jump on It!
I also have an almost Pristine Lithgow #1, I gave $120 for it and that was over 25 Years ago!
I own three .303s and hardly shoot them anymore due to the scarcity of Non Corrosive .303!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Bsa #1

I use the 150g Sierra Game King and 4895 for 200 yards and under. Over 200 yards IMR 4064 and the 174g Match King rules!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MJ,

it looks exactly like the one you have pictured, but it has a brass disk inlayed into the rear of the stock, near the comb.

Its quite beautiful.

wow, you shot that with that .303? what are most enfields capable of??

The bore on this one im getting is prestine and sharp. no doubt a rework, as im sure most enfields have seen at least one, if not two world wars.

·
Registered
684 Posts
;) Amazing rifles

My all 1944 Lithgow set.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
You guys have me drooling... very jealous...

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey i started a new thread with pictures of the new rifle. ALL number match, its a 1917 lithgow. I think it may be worth a pretty penny... paid 40 bucks for it. Dang it, now i gotta go by a new RCBS die.... haha

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had an Enfield Mk5 jungle carbine for many years, which I bought for $150.00. Mine came with two standard 10 rd. magazines. It has a manufacture date of 9/46 next to the serial number on the left side of the receiver, making it older than I am (born in 1947).

When I moved from Nevada to my current state, I had to have all my firearms appraised in order for the company to ship them.
The appraiser who inspected my collection wrote down "$350.00" value for that Mk5. Not bad.

I bought bulk surplus .303 ammo for it over a dozen years ago and have not had any problems with the shells I've uses thus far.

Heard there were supposed to be accuracy problems with Mk5 jungle carbines, but never had a lick of trouble hitting targets with mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts