M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of travel time for work is in my near future. Any recommendations on audio books. Combat, spy stuff etc... These really help with the driving.

FYI, just listened to Blind Man's Bluff. It was great 25 out of the 26 hours.

TIA

·
Administrator
17,193 Posts
Lee Child books (Jack Reacher, ex-military).

Reactions: luigi

·
Registered
303 Posts
Jeff Shaara’s books are a very good and the narrator does a good job. The WWI and WW2 are great and the new Korean War book was excellent.

The Mitch Rapp series is also good. The first two don’t have a good narrator. Book three changes to George Guidall as narrator which is much better. American Assasin and Kill Shot are books 1 and 2 time wise but written latter as prequels after book 8 or 9 came out. So if you’re listening, start with America Assassin, Kill Shot and then Executive Power.

·
Super Moderator
2,177 Posts
"The Terminal List" - Jack Carr

you'll LOVE it.

Lots of travel time for work is in my near future. Any recommendations on audio books. Combat, spy stuff etc... These really help with the driving.

FYI, just listened to Blind Man's Bluff. It was great 25 out of the 26 hours.

TIA

·
Registered
596 Posts
'Gone To Texas' aka The Outlaw Josey Wales by Forrest Carter
'Vengence Trail of Josey Whales' is the sequel.
Both are awesome we got the double audio set from my local library.
Im also a fan of the unabriged Tom Sawyer and Huck Fin stories on audio.
If you have kids get Hank the Cowdog audio books they are great for kids and adults.

·
Registered
Save the Country - Vote Libertarian
146 Posts
My favorite combat-related ones are:

All Quiet on the Western Front
To Hell and Back
Matterhorn

All are excellent.

"The Things They Carried" is good too although it's not quite a combat book, persay.

Once We Were Brothers was another good one about WW2 but not really a combat book.
Hornet Flight was also a fun ww2 fiction book

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Anything your local library carries by Brad Thor or W.E.B. Griffin-the Presidential Agent series is very good. If you are into science fiction, try the Ender series by Orsen Scott Card.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Listen to all of the Tom Clancy novels, including the ones written after he died. That'll take you a while.

If you like historical fiction Ken Follet is good. Pillars of the earth etc. he also did a WWI/WWII/Kennedy era series.

If you like detective Noir type stuff with a twist, the Dresden files series is awesome. He's a wizard who solves mysteries. Great stuff.

The Monster Hunter International series is a hoot, too, with lots of accurate gunplay.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Michael Connelly- Harry Bosch novels. More Detective novels. Older ones are better than the newer ones.
Daniel Silva - Gabriel Allon novels. Mossad/Shin bet Spy novels.
Ken Follet - The eye of the Needle. Spy WW2 novel
Nelson DeMille- Plum Island. The panther, the lion. He has a few.
Brad Thor - Scot Harvath novels
Lee Child- Jack Reacher novels
Alex Berenson- John Wells novels
Vince Flynn - Mitch Rapp novels
Early Tom Clancy - Jack Ryan novels
John Sanford - Prey series, Lucas Davenport. Detective novels. Really good characters.
John Le Carré - “Tinker sailor soldier spy” is his best novel.
W.E.B. Griffin - The Presidential Agent series of novels. Charlie Castillo is his main character. Long novels but very very good.
Clive cussler - Fargo adventure books. Great light reading if you like treasure hunts and close calls.
Ben Coes - Dewey Andreas novels

Also look up novels read by George Guidall. He is a wonderful reader. Changes voices and everything.

Read a Vince Flynn novel first if you can. My favorite.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I'll never forget the first audio book I was given on a cassette tape.

I was leaving Texas for a job in New Jersey back in 1988.

Girlfriend gave me "Lord of the Flies" to listen to on the trip.

23 hours on the road with a few stops for gas and short naps in roadside parks.

Narrator did a great job.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My last job had me commuting four hours twice a week, and I got pretty well read on the audiobooks. I definitely found that I stuck mostly to the non-fiction, but that’s me. If you’re into combat books, I’d recommend Mitchell Zuckoff “13 Hours,” the book that the recent movie was based on. Very well read.

I have to say, though, perhaps the best book I’ve EVER read/heard is Stephen Pinker’s “Better Angels of Our Nature.” Well balanced, extremely educational, and thoroughly entertaining. It’s quite a feat that it held my attention firmly for whole thing, especially considering it’s almost 36 hours long (you really get your money’s worth there). In fact, I’m about halfway through my fourth listen of it. Can’t recommend it enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts