M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend at the Myaka Gun & Archery Club, I'm looking forward to it. Any other forum members been to one of these events ? Thoughts ?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'm sure quite a few members here have been to, or are instructors at the Appleseed events.

The things I did before my first Appleseed.......
Zero rifle at 25 meters (27yds)
Stretched so I could get into the seated position, this took 2 weeks.
Find ammo your rifle likes and functions well with. Buy at least 500 rds.

Things to bring.....
Cotton or nylon GI web sling.
Elbow pads (neoprene)
Carpet remnant, 3X6 feet. Or a shooting mat.
4 magazines, at least.
Eyes and ears.
Tools to work on your rifle.
Food, water, snacks.
Stapler.
Note pad, pen.
Chair.

You'll have a great time, go with a teachable attitude and you'll learn a ton about rifle marksmanship and American heritage.
Here's a link to the RWVA web site about what to bring.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=101.0

Have fun and tell us how it went.

pg
USA2

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been to two Appleseeds and had a great time. So much fun that I signed up as an IIT (instructor in training). It's a great program. Give us a report.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am instructor with the program and love everything about it.

Not sure what kind of shape you are in, but as others said, you may want to do some good stretching at your house today and tomorrow.

Enjoy the history lesson which is probably going to better than almost any you have ever heard before.

If the instructors advise you to do something, give it a try, even if you have done it another way for 20 years.

Have a great time, let us know what you thought of it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've been to one so far, can't wait to go back!

+1 to STRETCHING. I *thought* I had it pretty well down pat, but if you practice the positions - practice 'em right!

And of course, +1 to trigger time with your weapon. Even dry fire will help, just follow the Six Steps...

·
Registered
202 Posts
HAve fun :)

invest in a decent elbow protector if you are going to be on hard ground. When the instructors put you into the Appleseed prone position they force your support arm into a very unnatural position. While this offers excellent stability and an enhanced support, you will be bleeding by the end of the weekend.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
229 Posts
what are you shooting? if you can put a little 3x9 scope on it it will be less frustrating than iron sights; at least for my older eyes. tube feed are a bear to reload, every body will be waiting for you to load. have fun

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm taking my Ruger 10/22, an M1 Garand, my M1A and my LE6920. Might as well bring a variety.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Take some lube, too. We cleaned our rifles after day 1 when I took my son to his first Appleseed. He cleaned his FAL and I cleaned my M1A. We had a great time and learned a lot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
While I whole heartedly support you bringing an array of rifles, please don't be the guy who goes to his car every 2 hrs through out the weekend and keep saying there is something wrong with that rifle, need to try another. Not saying you are that kind of person, but that is one of the most frustrating things from an instructors perspective. If you just stick with one gun we can both learn what needs fixing in your position and shooting, if the rifle keeps changing this makes it really hard.

I have never had problems with my elbows, but I have seen people elbows bleeding or them rubbing them through out the day. I understand the urge to want to use elbow pads, but be careful not to get pads that will sacrifice your stability and planted elbows. I recon this goes with the elbow issues, but be sure to bring whatever kind of mat you can.

·
Registered
235 Posts
+1 to sticking with one rifle all day, if possible. But DO bring a backup rifle (and plenty of ammo, if a different caliber than your primary) just in case. Heck, all I had for a backup that I had ammo for at the time was a pump action, tube fed .22. Luckily I didn't need it.

Another plus to sticking with one rifle throughout is that it's a GREAT way to test the limits of the gun as far as functioning goes under fairly heavy use. By the time we got around to AQTs, my "M4gery" had failure-to-chamber issues.

For elbow pads, I've always heard to not use ones that are rigid. I got some volleyball kneepads from Wal-Mart to use as elbow pads. ...actually I already had them, they're part of my Ghostbusters costume (SAID I was a geek)! GI2

Going back though, I might try the "folded towel" routine.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Finished up the first day today and had a great time. I stuck with my 10/22 the whole time and did the forum proud. I was 1 of 3 in our group that were "400 yard" shooters, and scored 220 on the AQT to receive my patch on the first day (the only one awarded). Some of the skills they teach really make sense, And they do put safety first. I'm looking forward to hitting the line with my garand for day 2. With my M1 I'll be able to sling up better than today with the ruger. Was hasty sling all day today using a crappy black nylon sling that came with my colt LE6920. I'm at the motel away from my pc or I would post pics of my targets.

GunOwningGeek I'm using volleyball kneepads from Sportsauthority.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Appleseed is a great marksmanship program. When I attended my first, I came away thinking it was an exercise program masked as a shooting clinic!!! Wow, was I out of shape. Before you go you need to practice shooting positions, stretching those muscles!!! Two to three times a week. Appleseed is like eating potato chips---you can't attend just one!!!!
Have a willingness to learn. I had developed some bad habits and had a time breaking them. I'm a much better shooter for having attended!! 'MoGI6

·
Registered
95 Posts
MKN, that is awesome! Congratulations, that really takes some skill and persistence. Not to give you too hard a time, but now see if you can shoot a rifleman score with a real gun. I was told that you aren't supposed to sew on your patch to your shooting jacket until you have done it with a .30 cal, I am sure they were just joshin me.

Well, I wish you the best of luck tomorrow, it sounds like you are off to a great start and hopefully getting your moneys worth this weekend.

Great looking targets!!!GI7

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good job mknopfler! FRG1 Very Very few get their patch on the first day, in fact the average is 3 shoots to do so, some more, some less. Got one 210+ under your belt, were you able to do repetedly?

It's a great program and yes, most will be sore and wore out after 2 straight days. They'll say the positions get easier with practice..They do and shooting abilities will improve as well. Good job! Now help us get a few million more off the couch to participate in the only sport recognized by our founding fathers...O.L.

www.appleseedinfo.org

1 - 16 of 16 Posts