·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have the following 2 scopes (one on an M1A and the other on an R700):

These scopes seem to double my turret adjustments! See this picture below:

online photo hosting

Say I made a hit at 100 yards that was 0.5 mils high and right. I should, on my turrets, make a 0.5 mil adjustment down and to the left. But when I do this, my next impact will be twice that - 1 mil down and 1 mil left! Is this normal for scopes to double the amount you twist the turrets by??? These scopes don't always do this though. Sometimes it actually makes the proper adjustments that I'd expect. It definitely seems it happens all the time when I shoot at longer distances (300+ yards) I will admit that it might just be me, but this happens frequently!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I cannot specifically verify either your experience with Athlon scopes, (at least not the turret functionality, their customer service is great, but the manufacturing quality I experienced wasn't encouraging) but that fact that it sometimes does this suggests that it is a mechanical malfunction with the turrets.

I believe, based only on reading what others have shared of their experiences, that repeatable turret adjustments are features that you pay for with higher priced scopes.

You can do the warranty dance with Athlon (their customer service is friendly and responsive), and you may get is satisfactorily resolved and go away happily ever after, but if I were to venture a suggestion, I'd say maybe consider swallowing that ugly feeling and look at something like a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x50 FFP with a Mil reticle, for starters. I am sure many can offer much more experience of products that prove themselves with regular turret adjustments.

Or, just get it zeroed, let it settle to make sure it stays put, and don't use your turrets other than to re-zero when necessary.

I'm not really a turret turner, but I know that if the turrets don't move as they're supposed to, I'm looking at the rings or the mount to see if I might have insufficiently tightened something. Come to think of it, maybe check that while you're at it. It may be that another error, inside or out of the scope, is simply compounding the movement and it looks like your turret moved it more than it should have, but the error was just coincidental. Just spit ballin'. If it was the turrets, I would just not use that scope because I don't like having things broken, even if they most often go unused.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say maybe consider swallowing that ugly feeling and look at something like a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x50 FFP with a Mil reticle, for starters. I am sure many can offer much more experience of products that prove themselves with regular turret adjustments.
I'll consider that. I've actually been looking at the Gen 1 instead. Do you have an opinion on that scope?

Or, just get it zeroed, let it settle to make sure it stays put, and don't use your turrets other than to re-zero when necessary.

I'm not really a turret turner, but I know that if the turrets don't move as they're supposed to, I'm looking at the rings or the mount to see if I might have insufficiently tightened something. Come to think of it, maybe check that while you're at it. It may be that another error, inside or out of the scope, is simply compounding the movement and it looks like your turret moved it more than it should have, but the error was just coincidental. Just spit ballin'. If it was the turrets, I would just not use that scope because I don't like having things broken, even if they most often go unused.
Excellent tips. I'll try to make sure everything is screwed in the way it is and make sure it isn't the turrets.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I'll consider that. I've actually been looking at the Gen 1 instead. Do you have an opinion on that
I have a gen 1 4-16x50 that i have in the Keeper category. I would not consider myself an exhaustive scope tester, so keep that i mind, but of what I have tried, I am planning on hanging onto it. It seems to do what it is supposed to do as far as adjustments, and definitely nicer in terms of turret feel than the tier down diamondback 4-16x50 . No problems with it I have noticed. Seems to do what it claims.

·
Registered
829 Posts
This is what do with every scope I mount, the box test. I also take a 4' level and crank the turret uo 30MOA to check my mounting job for level cross hairs, about half the time I'm off a couple degrees.
The Athlon I mounted for a buddy did ok for a 2MOA rifle. The 3 Vortex PST I've done all did real well with the box test and have held zero for 3-4 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what do with every scope I mount, the box test. I also take a 4' level and crank the turret uo 30MOA to check my mounting job for level cross hairs, about half the time I'm off a couple degrees.
The Athlon I mounted for a buddy did ok for a 2MOA rifle. The 3 Vortex PST I've done all did real well with the box test and have held zero for 3-4 years.

This will certainly be a test I'll try to do the next time I get out on to the range. Seems like a good way to make sure it's the scope and not me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts