M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be the wronf forum for this . . .

I am active on a message board devoted to Large Format Photography; using the old style acordien looking cameras where the photographer puts his head under a big cloth . . .

OK then, in a thread there discussing the potential use of flash powder to make photographs on glass plates a lot of responses recommend against it as the potential for mishap is great. One contributer posted pictures of antique cameras and associated gear that he bought as a lot. Included were everything needed for flash powder photography, the holder with a can of powder and percussion csps to set it off.

This stuff is at least 90 years old, probably older. It is my opinion that the materials should be disposed of, but ZI am not sure what is advisable, correct or legal. Should it be given over to "the authorities"? Should the local Police, Sherif or the BATFE be contacted? maybe it should go to a municipal haz-Mat center...?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would call your local recycling center for fuel and the like, and ask them. Any place you can take old gasoline/oil/petroleum products or chemicals for recycling/disposal should be able to tell you the proper procedure for that particular stuff.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How much material are we talking about? 1 or 2 lbs or 20 plus lbs? Granulated powders can be safely disposed of by controlled burning or even being sprinkled in the grass over a large area just like you are applying fertilizer. Materials like this degrade over time even if kept in the most ideal environments in their original container. Recycling places may not touch it because it is classified as an explosive. Local police should have contact numbers for other agencies who can deal with this stuff if they themselves don’t have the capability but this can turn into a dog and pony show. A good example is someone turning in a single 30mm shell found in grandpas basement and before things are said and done the regional bomb squad with three trucks and 8 people show up to deal with it after the area has been systematically cleared of all people and a mobile command center established. If this person has access to an outdoor shooting range that would be the ideal place to either burn it in a shallow slit trench or fertilize it.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Photographic Flash Powder was made by mixing powdered magnesium and a Nitrate compound, The quantity is around 2 pounds stored in a metal can. The caps look like large musket caps. they are in the original packaging and must be over 90 years old, probably much older.

Your recommendation for a fuels recycling center make sense.

·
Forum Jester
6,913 Posts
May be the wronf forum for this . . .

I am active on a message board devoted to Large Format Photography; using the old style acordien looking cameras where the photographer puts his head under a big cloth . . .

OK then, in a thread there discussing the potential use of flash powder to make photographs on glass plates a lot of responses recommend against it as the potential for mishap is great. One contributer posted pictures of antique cameras and associated gear that he bought as a lot. Included were everything needed for flash powder photography, the holder with a can of powder and percussion csps to set it off.

This stuff is at least 90 years old, probably older. It is my opinion that the materials should be disposed of, but ZI am not sure what is advisable, correct or legal. Should it be given over to "the authorities"? Should the local Police, Sherif or the BATFE be contacted? maybe it should go to a municipal haz-Mat center...?
call police dept. let them have the bomb squad deal with it

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That has been done. Turns out the poster in question has a long professional history working in the field of industrial safety and manipulating really nasty things. He is not a babe in the woods. I believe that he will do what is safe, ethical and legal.

He bought a set of old camera gear. The flash powder and caps came with it as a complete outfit stored away for 80 yers or so. I do think this will br resolved without incident.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
call police dept. let them have the bomb squad deal with it
They will over react.

Evacuate the entire neighborhood for a mile or so.

Bust down your front door with a robot.

Robot will knock over all the wife's dust collectors.

Some guy in a bomb suit will enter your house knocking over what the robot didn't.

You'll have all the neighbors freaked out about that bomb making guy down the street.

Your house will be on the six o'clock news with the reporter going on about a bomb making ring.

Just burn the stuff or spread it in the yard.

Save yourself a lot of grief, especially from the wife.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
i can send you a foot or so of cannon fuse.
poke hole in can. install fuse. got a old stump ?
then happy 4th of july everyone.
Lruss

·
Forum Jester
6,913 Posts
They will over react.

Evacuate the entire neighborhood for a mile or so.

Bust down your front door with a robot.

Robot will knock over all the wife's dust collectors.

Some guy in a bomb suit will enter your house knocking over what the robot didn't.

You'll have all the neighbors freaked out about that bomb making guy down the street.

Your house will be on the six o'clock news with the reporter going on about a bomb making ring.

Just burn the stuff or spread it in the yard.

Save yourself a lot of grief, especially from the wife.
and if you blow yourself or hurt somebody,it's your butt,plus the lawsuits,you might get arrested for stupidiity(besides being a member here),let the pro's who know what they are doing handle it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts