M14 Forum banner

ATF Form 3310.4 for Multiple Handgun Sales?

10453 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Spikenfritz
Hi folks.

Hope Thanksgiving was good to you and your families.

Mine was pretty darned cool, as my dear ol' Dad gave me his Glock and SIG. As Dad's a resident of Massachusetts and I'm in Illinois, I knew enough to have 'em shipped to a local dealer here to have 'em o-fish-ully transferred by completing an ATF Form 4473 (nevermind that if he had the good sense to move to Illinois I wouldn't be going through this foolishness).

Today they arrived and I hi-tailed it down to my favorite gun shop to do the paperwork.

What I didn't know was that the transfer was also going to be reported directly to the ATF via a Form 3310.4, which is faxed to the feds each time a person buys more than one handgun within five business days. It also gets sent to either the local jurisdiction where the sale occurred, or in absence of such, to the State Police (thanks, Google).

I don't necessarily have a problem with this, but my question to y'all is am I going to have any local law enforcement agency knocking on my door? Am I going to be on some sort of list?

Regardless, as soon as I get though the 72-hour waiting period, I'm picking 'em up and driving directly to Indiana where I'm throwing 'em in my safe...

Just curious as to anyone's thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.

Spike
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
207 Posts
I bought two S&W Model 17 revolvers at the SF Gun Exchange on the same day many years ago. There wasn't any additional paperwork for me to fill out. I think you might get an inquiry from the ATF if you were buying multiple guns on a recurring basis especially if one of them turned up at a crime scene.

· Registered
42 Posts
Good news Bad news. First the good in most cases no one will ever knock on you door (now days the dont knock anyway) even if you buy four or five fire arms. (do it every week for a while and things change). Bad news yes it puts you on a list (they never collect data without keeping it). Remember when the DC sniper was at large and a white guy on the news who happened to own a white van and oh ya an AR15, its a good bet he was on one of those lists. The thing ya have to wonder is how many of his rights were actualy violated before someone realized he was just a Citizen , who happened to live in the area, who happened to own a white van (not even the correct vehicle by the way), who happened to own an AR15. Is he even free today or did he get arrested for something unrelated when his house was ilegaly searched bassed on a warrent issued ao all the just happend to misinformation?

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mellowme said:
...Remember when the DC sniper was at large and a white guy on the news who happened to own a white van and oh ya an AR15, its a good bet he was on one of those lists. The thing ya have to wonder is how many of his rights were actualy violated before someone realized he was just a Citizen , who happened to live in the area, who happened to own a white van (not even the correct vehicle by the way), who happened to own an AR15. Is he even free today or did he get arrested for something unrelated when his house was ilegaly searched bassed on a warrent issued ao all the just happend to misinformation?
I seem to remember that the person in question was actually ratted out by his girlfriend/ex/former significant other who had a beef with him. 'Sides, the 3310.4 is only applicable for handguns, not longarms.

I also seem to remember hearing on the news that the task force was looking through 4473s at the local gun shops for ARs. Nuttin' in the law sez they can't do that.

IMHO, as long as you do a transfer over a 4473, you can be found. I was just taken aback about a my transaction kicking off a proactive notification process to ATF, that's all. Call it the Fox Mulder in me. ;)

Spike

PS: Called the shop. My FTIP went through, and all I have to do now is wait 72 hours per Illinois law... :D

· Registered
1,768 Posts
In NY, we have different rules. You can't even handle a handgun unless you have a Pistol Lic. or are LEO. Then there are a few hoops to jump through after that if you are civilian. Waiting period? About 6-9 months before you get your Permit. All handguns are kept track of through county Police or Sheriff. Can't purchase legally with out their blessing. Why??? You need a form issued by them in order to complete sale. LEO, different story. Buy your toy, and U have 10 days to notify State Police through your agency.

· "Staff Alumni"
1,321 Posts
Ive done multiple hand gun purchases quite a few times in my life. Never had a knock at my door yet. Although latley if I buy2,3 or 4 I pay for the pistols all at once and then do an ini-minee-mo and do the paper work on that particular pistol take it home shoot it for a week and then go back in fill in the paper work on the next one and so forth. Might take a few weeks to get all the pistols but no extra paper work and not really a problem since I drive by every day and stop in my local dealers shop a few times a month any way :p

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lex_Ordo said:
In NY, we have different rules. You can't even handle a handgun unless you have a Pistol Lic. or are LEO...
Oh man, I hear ya... :D

Back when we lived on the Upper East Side, just for giggles one day I went down to One Police Plaza and decided to pick up a pistol permit.

I distinctly remember the crab in the lobby at 1PP refused to give me more than one copy, it was like an 8.5x14 yellow, fold-out form, had to be notarized in blood, and if you answered wrong on who was your kindergarten teacher, they'd nix ya (I seem to remember they even asked about recent prescription meds you took, or something nutty like that).

John Jovino was charging some obscene amount for an "attorney service" so I basically said "screw this" and had to settle for once-a-month visitation of my toys back in the People's Republic of Mass. It was definitely worth the three-hour drive...

I'm glad that New York and Chicago are crime-free because of such bureaucracy... :roll:

OK. I'm done whining now.

Spike

· Banned
11,516 Posts
Lex is correct. When purchasing a handgun in Suffolk County, you have top go to your issuing agency, (SCPD or SC Sherrif's office) get the purchase document, go buy the gun, (within 5 days) bring the gun and the copy filled out and signed back to the issuing agency and they will physically get the ser# off the gun and issue another plastic pistol permit showing the handgun ser# amd model on the back.

· Registered
770 Posts
Spike,
IIRC you are relatively new to this area, so please take this with my best intentions. If you live in Chicago proper(have a ZIP of 606xx), I believe handgun possession is verboten. Get them to your In. place ASAP. Like after you pick them up, go directly to In. , bypass Chicago. Check with the store owner, he can probably give you better instructions. I would hate to see one of our guys made an example of, the bad guys carry and get away with it, they know the system. We follow the rules and get hammered. If you have any questions, PM me, I'll try my best to help. HTH
I'm thinking of going to the Crown Pt. Gun show on Sat.
Good luck and good shootin with the new irons.

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tatonka said:
Spike,
IIRC you are relatively new to this area, so please take this with my best intentions. If you live in Chicago proper(have a ZIP of 606xx), I believe handgun possession is verboten. Get them to your In. place ASAP. Like after you pick them up, go directly to In. , bypass Chicago. Check with the store owner, he can probably give you better instructions. I would hate to see one of our guys made an example of, the bad guys carry and get away with it, they know the system. We follow the rules and get hammered. If you have any questions, PM me, I'll try my best to help. HTH
I'm thinking of going to the Crown Pt. Gun show on Sat.
Good luck and good shootin with the new irons.
Yo, T!

Yep. You are absolutely correct. I have no intention of bringing 'em into the city. My plan of attack is to pick 'em up from the shop tomorrow, take I-80 AROUND the city, and then drop 'em off in Indiana. I've done this before, with the Glock 23 I bought a couple of years ago, and with my SuperMatch purchase in March. I don't have any hardware in my home.

The funny thing is that when I bought my 23 (as well as filling in the paperwork for the stuff I just got from Dad) I had to sign a form acknowledging the Chicago ordinance. I have no intention of running afoul of it.

I appreciate you looking out for me!

Spike

PS: Crown Point is OK. Got a few NIW OM M14 mags there previously, but they're a little light in the overall parts department. Would love to hear an after-action report from ya.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.