M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across a first year Smith Corona, made in October 1942, according to the S/N, and sporting a six-groove Smith Corona-marked barrel dated 10 42, with the correct Ordnance symbol. Metal is in great condition, and it doesn't appear to be an armory rework.

The bore looks pretty good, but the stock has been refinished and oiled with a slight gloss finish.

Guy is asking $795, but said he would come down. Even if he comes down to $700, do you guys think this is a tad high on the price? The rifle will be a shooter, if I buy it.

Opinions, emotional outbursts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Might be a little high, but you still can't go wrong with that rifle as long as everything looks good on it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think that seems to be what they have been running, espicially if the barrel is in good shape. Seems all 1903's are going up in price. I was at a gun show today an stopped to look at a 1903, barrel date was from 1918, tag was 895.00....dealer told me it was a 4000.00 gun an he had come down 60%.....started showing it to me an said you push this in an load it from the bottom.......I just sighed....didn't even tell him I had a 1903A1 an a 1903A3.....he could of least read a manual before trying to sell something.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad. Seems to be around the going price as already stated. If it shoots as good as it looks by your description it sounds like a keeper. They are all worth it once you bring them home.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Yeah, with the WWII fever most guns of that era are going up in price, sad to say. A shop down the road has a couple of what I consider to be beater P17's for $800 + tax, which would make them about $900 OTD. Guns that I wouldn't pay more than $4-500 for. Oh well.

If you can get him down to $650 or $700 it is probably about the going price for a shooter. Good luck on your buy!!

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Just depends on what you want in a '03 or 'O3A3. I'd spend a slight premium for a really good rebuild with a great barrel I know will shoot over an original collector grade with a shot-out barrel.

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
Here's my .02

Correct SC 03a3's out pace Remington 03a3's in my neak of the woods, SC rifles also seem too shoot better than the Remingtons, could this be that High Standard made barrels under contract for SC?

For the price you listed $795 is at the higher side, if its truly sweet and correct $700 is more inline with the real world for a correct SC 03a3 thats a good shooter. Is the stock thats on the rifle a straight, scant, or a C type stock, it its a scant or the later C type $700 is a good buy.

Best of luck hope all works out in your favor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You guys get awesome deals. Here, $700.00 would be a awesome price for a SC 03A3. For me that is one of those rare deals that I hear other guys getting.

Get it.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Sounds decent,,GI1 I think the 6 Groove BBLs are few & far between though,,so that is a Big Plus !!!! I have a buddy that has 2 SC with 6 Groove BBLs that he took New out of the wrap & they are unbelievably Sweet rifles !!! Play on the Stock & say it would of been worth more if it hadn't been refinished,,offer him $650/$675 and see what he says GI2 !!!! Keep us posted for sure !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts