M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years my eyesight has gotten progressively worse. It's still correctable to 20/20 (right eye) but the astigmatism was making iron sights a real challenge. Unless conditions were PERFECT, it was a challenge I lost.

Correcting for astigmatism requires asymetrical lenses. The practical effect is that I have to look through the center of the lense to get the best picture. Sighting with the irons leaves me looking through the upper left quadrant of the lense (right handed shooter).

Well, I just broke down and got myself fitted for soft Toric contact lenses. Holey Moley! These things are fantastic. I took my eyeballs down to the range and fired the Supermatch at 100 and 200 yards. Iron sights are fun again. Now, where I'm looking IS the center of the corrective lense.

I should have done it a long time ago but if astigmatic vision is giving you fits at the range--there is help. You should give 'em a try.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
wuzzagrunt:

Good to hear you can enjoy the sport again.

I gotta ask-don't they bug the living #*@#&# out of ya??
I wore glasses before and now my eye sight is better than 20-20 and don't wear them anymore.

I would think that contacts on the ole eye ball would be iratating as #*&#@.

warbird

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've spent the last--not quite--fifty years honing and sharpening the useful reflex that causes me to shut my eyes when fingers and foreign objects approach. For that reason, getting the lenses in and out is a little traumatic. I'm getting it done, though, and it's not quite as bad as I thought it might be. Getting back to real shooting is a strong motivating factor.

The sensation of having something on the eyeball is a bit creepy but I'm only into day #4 and it's already growing much less noticable. I'm pretty psyched! :D

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha WuzzaGrunt:

I have stigmatism also! It's the main reason why my red dot looks like a red football or two red dots when I look through it... and why my rear peep sight doesn't look round... :lol:

I just need to drag my sorry butt down to the eye doc for some corrective lenses... but that is another reason that I use a scope on almost all of my rifles! :lol:

Glad to hear that they fixed you up good! It gives me the confidence to go down there and get some myself! :lol:

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
wuzzagrunt: Good info, thanks!

As I get older my eyesight is slowly going south, my left eye moreso than my right (astigmatism too). As I'm left handed, guess which eye I use to shoot with? :lol:

I think I'll be looking into some contacts for use while shooting. Were the Toric brand lenses especially recommended for shooting, or would any brand do?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Torics are a type of lense specifically designed to correct astigmatism. There are many brands and styles of Toric lenses. They don't make them in bi-focal style but my contacts are OK for most reading. For real close work, I bought a pair of $8 non-scrip' reading glasses at the drug store. They work fine.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
wuzzagrunt
They make those lenses in soft now. I use to wear the hard lenses. Only problem with them is that you can only wear them for 8 hours at a time. If they were clean they felt ok. If they were dirty they didn't feel so good. I'll have to check into it. Thanks for the info.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was expecting to end up with the rigid lenses but the ones I got are the soft. Each pair is supposed to last 3 months. They are pretty comfy already but I'm still wearing the trial lenses. I think they can get them to fit a tiny bit better than the ones I'm wearing. I can live with these, though, if this is as good as it gets. It's not bad at all.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have been wearing contact lenses for several years. I have no astigmatism but my arms were getting way to short. My Doc fitted me for monovision, a different perscription for each eye.
I shoot a long gun left handed. Left eye far, right eye near. It took about three days to adjust.
Soft lenses can be worne for several days before you need to wash them off and let lyour eyeballs rest a while and pop them back in for several more days before you have to use a new pair.
It sure feels good to be able to see as soon as you open your eyes in the morning. As far as being tight eyed, I did not think I could put anything in my eyes but you also adjust to that.
If you can wear them they are the way to go.

TomR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.