M14 Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I don't think M118SB was ever that accurate...
M118 Special Ball or M118 Special Ball, Long Range?

M118 Special Ball actually had the exact same specifications as M118 Match, it's just after the name change the failure to meet accuracy requirement was waived, but otherwise it was required to be the same. M118LR is a different beast altogether.

I was referring to M118 Special Ball, not LR. Back when they made the switch, due to concerns that M852 could not be used in combat, Special Ball was the temporary answer. It is simply the M118 FMJ bullet loaded in Ball Brass. It proved to be inconsistent when it first came out. We much preferred M118 "white box" match ammo over SB. M852 proved to be a huge improvement over all types of M118 that were available at that time. Sierra bullets made the difference. However, some early lots of M852 had issues at 600 yards. They found the powder needed adjustment to get the best mid range consistency. I experienced all this during my years shooting with the National Guard, 1978 to 1993. I retired when they mandated the switch to the M16 for advanced marksmanship. That had more to do with the 24 years I served than not wanting to shoot M16's.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.