M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if you all have seen this but I plan to try out at least the David Tubb bullet system on my SOCOM 16.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm

"Clearly, the Squad Scout's performance improved significantly after lapping the barrel using David Tubb's final finish product. This produced a 39% accuracy improvement for only $35. By far, this is the biggest bang for the buck. If you only do one thing to your Scout, lap the barrel."

For a total of $75 he was able to cut his groups in HALF! Not bad!

Anyone have any first hand experience with this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for posting this, I read through the article and found it quite interesting. I do have one question (as a newbie, it may not be a really smart question, so bear with me), the author of the article mentioned he had been using molly coated bullets before his acurization experiment. I have read that molly coated bullets are not great for the gas system on these guns. I don't know if that would have had any impact as far as accuracy goes, but if someone could confirm that for me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

JP

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Thanks for posting this, I read through the article and found it quite interesting. I do have one question (as a newbie, it may not be a really smart question, so bear with me), the author of the article mentioned he had been using molly coated bullets before his acurization experiment. I have read that molly coated bullets are not great for the gas system on these guns. I don't know if that would have had any impact as far as accuracy goes, but if someone could confirm that for me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

JP
We were using Moly coated bullets in late 80's/early 90's and we never had a problem, BUT our shooters brought their guns to us to clean the gas systems at least once a week. Of course, they fired 120 to over 200 rounds each day of practice.

We did not "allow" our shooters to clean their gas systems as only we had the Torque Wrenches to torque them back on properly after cleaning. There was a sort of standard Joke about that between the shooters and Armorers on The Big Team in the 70's. Every so often a shooter would come up to get his gas system cleaned and he would say, "How about checking the oil and cleaning the bore and chamber while you are at it?" Our standard reply was, "We don't TRUST you not to screw up the gas systems, but you clean your own GD bore and chamber!" It was all good nature fun, though.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
I'm not sure if you all have seen this but I plan to try out at least the David Tubb bullet system on my SOCOM 16.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm

"Clearly, the Squad Scout's performance improved significantly after lapping the barrel using David Tubb's final finish product. This produced a 39% accuracy improvement for only $35. By far, this is the biggest bang for the buck. If you only do one thing to your Scout, lap the barrel."

For a total of $75 he was able to cut his groups in HALF! Not bad!

Anyone have any first hand experience with this?
This is nothing against David Tubb's product, but the accuracy level increase was probably so much because that particular barrel had been machined so roughly.

I know people who have used them on Criterion and Wilson barrels with little or no appreciable accuracy increase.

I, personally, would not use it on a hand lapped Krieger barrel.

What I have found wrong a lot of times with poorly shooting SOCCOM 16's is BOTH the Muzzle Face AND the Muzzle Crowns were bad to horrible.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
This is just a thought from my other money-pit...motorcycles. There was a train of thought that was widespread back in the late 1960's that if you bypassed the factory recommended break-in procedures and simply 'ran the engine fast' from day 1, it would outperform bikes that were carefully broken in.
I ended up buying several of these bikes cheap...'running the engine fast' rapidly accelerated piston/ring/sleeve wear. Yes...they ran faster than a properly broken bike with similar mileage....for a while.
This 'fast and furious' (couldn't help myself) break-in lead to early wear out of the bores, with the resulting short engine life. Young owner could not afford a bore job, so I end up with the bike cheap.
With this experience stuck in my mind, I would not use break-in rounds in any of my rifles, unless I had one that had an obviously rough bore from sloppy factory machining and no other recourse was available. I would be more likely to return it.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Gus

We were using Moly coated bullets in late 80's/early 90's and we never had a problem, BUT our shooters brought their guns to us to clean the gas systems at least once a week. Of course, they fired 120 to over 200 rounds each day of practice.

We did not "allow" our shooters to clean their gas systems as only we had the Torque Wrenches to torque them back on properly after cleaning. There was a sort of standard Joke about that between the shooters and Armorers on The Big Team in the 70's. Every so often a shooter would come up to get his gas system cleaned and he would say, "How about checking the oil and cleaning the bore and chamber while you are at it?" Our standard reply was, "We don't TRUST you not to screw up the gas systems, but you clean your own GD bore and chamber!" It was all good nature fun, though.
What is the suggested torque for the M1A gas plug ?

TIA,
Rich

·
Registered
687 Posts
Gus's comments about shooters cleaning thier match/sniper rifles mirrors my own experience as a M21 sniper student.We were not allowed to dissasemble the rifle nor were our line Co armorers.fact is we were no even allowed to clean bores.The 'fix' for a stuck gas piston was a shot from an aerosol can of wd 40?into the gas port by an instructor! (circa '78' Ft Bragg/ SF instructors...post VN (re)start-up sniper school)

#1-OLDFLYBOY comments regarding breakin.

Inexpensive accuracy mods IMHO should include a GC shimming(my GC-Band ass. was a loose fit) between the 2 components the front band sloppy at best.Shimming cost very little aside from tools which you should have anyway.GI combo tool should work?Few $ for the shims some antisieze for the GC plug.A basic inexpensive accuracy mod.Depending on your particulat TG a NM trigger job is not just a nice addition but in cases can markedly increase accuracy.As was mentioned if my BBL was so bad as to require a smoothing procedure I would contact the manufacture.SAI IMO has an excellent warranty program although it may require persistence/insistence on your part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.