M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Very cool! thanks for sharing the pictures. I have wanted one for a long time, but it is just hard for me to spend the $1200 average they bring for a scope that could be shadowed in quality by a similar priced modern scope, or so I have read. I love history, so I am sure I will get one some day because the modern scopes just lack that history and cool factor. Besides that, no other scope looks right on a M21 clone type rifle, except maybe the ARTEL on a XM21. If I could get my hands on a epoxy impregnated stock, or at least a genuine XM21 or M21 stock in good condition, I would start putting parts away for a XM21 or similar type clone.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
There is nothing obsolete about the ART II. The scope itself is about as good as any, being from Redfield. The concept of automatic ranging hasn't been duplicated until recently thanks to modern electronics and lazer range finding. The great thing about the ART system is that almost anyone could learn to use it in short order and it worked as advertised.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I don't know first hand, I have just read that the optics of today are supposed to be much better. I agree though, those old Redfields are built very well and are extremely tough and resilient. Of coarse, I do not believe most stuff that I read, and the fact that the ARTII is still used today, at least I think it is, speaks volumes for their quality, toughness, and useability. I have been dieing to try one first hand. One of these days...

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Nice photos.

That's a real one, and it looks like it's never been mounted or used. Maybe it's one of the new surplus scopes that the CMP sold some years back. I do wonder about the tag attached that says "crosshairs". May have been repaired.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I don't know first hand, I have just read that the optics of today are supposed to be much better. I agree though, those old Redfields are built very well and are extremely tough and resilient. Of coarse, I do not believe most stuff that I read, and the fact that the ARTII is still used today, at least I think it is, speaks volumes for their quality, toughness, and useability. I have been dieing to try one first hand. One of these days...
Art IIs are not Redfields. AR TELs are. Art IIs are Jim Leatherwood's own design.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Nice photos.

That's a real one, and it looks like it's never been mounted or used. Maybe it's one of the new surplus scopes that the CMP sold some years back. I do wonder about the tag attached that says "crosshairs". May have been repaired.
Got a commercial cam on it. Old style Butler Creek caps.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I love the way you managed those photos. It's like a slow strip tease! The anticipation of the next photo as I scrolled down was very exciting. ICONREDFAC Seriously, where do you find this stuff. You seem to have keys to a special time dimension aka m14 world. GI1 Thanks for starting my day off right!

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I've been looking for the base and rings for a civi 4X Realist Camputer scope. It's the only one I've seen, labeled "ART" not II, not -TEL with same metal SN tag for 5 or 6 years. I've made it a mission to get it proper.

Ended up getting and ART4 which isn't really that different from the old ones. Ted Brown is so right about ease of use and ranging once you get used to the operation and technique.

Whether it would fetch high USD or higher ISD (tokiwartooth), it still has value to someone. Some people would pay high dollar just for the case. The greatest thing about them is their simplicity.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Got a commercial cam on it. Old style Butler Creek caps.
I've never been able to confirm that. The original military cams, as written up in the user's manual, were marked 3-9 for use at 300-900 meters with M118. The cam on that scope is marked from 1-10 for use from 100-1000 meters, still calibrated for M118, but that's not documented in the user's manual. I have seen more 1-10 cams than 3-9 cams, including (IIRC) on a scope that came directly from the CMP, so I think the cams with the 1-10 markings are just a later variation of the military M118 cam. The cams marked 150-450 in yards are definitely the civilian/LE cams.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I've been looking for the base and rings for a civi 4X Realist Camputer scope. It's the only one I've seen, labeled "ART" not II, not -TEL with same metal SN tag for 5 or 6 years. I've made it a mission to get it proper.

Ended up getting and ART4 which isn't really that different from the old ones. Ted Brown is so right about ease of use and ranging once you get used to the operation and technique.

Whether it would fetch high USD or higher ISD (tokiwartooth), it still has value to someone. Some people would pay high dollar just for the case. The greatest thing about them is their simplicity.
The Realist was actually considered as a replacement for the Redfield accurange on the original USMC M40 sniper. I don't think it got past the concept stage as a mount was never made.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I've never been able to confirm that. The original military cams, as written up in the user's manual, were marked 3-9 for use at 300-900 meters with M118. The cam on that scope is marked from 1-10 for use from 100-1000 meters, still calibrated for M118, but that's not documented in the user's manual. I have seen more 1-10 cams than 3-9 cams, including (IIRC) on a scope that came directly from the CMP, so I think the cams with the 1-10 markings are just a later variation of the military M118 cam. The cams marked 150-450 in yards are definitely the civilian/LE cams.
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Numrich/ Gun Parts Corp had some bases and rings for the Realist scopes. The hard part is that the base is rifle-specific, i.e. long action Rem 700 etc.

I've also seen them on GB and ebay.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More info.
This came directly from the CMP and was reworked by Leatherwood. Then it was sent back to the guy that I am getting it from. The receipt from Leatherwood is still in the case showing exactly what they did. Most if it was with regards to cleaning. There is no mention of anything involving cams or switching out any major parts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts