M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete ART II 3-9X Auto Ranging Telescope with 2 point mount and carrying case in excellent condition.

Attachments

·
Forum Jester
8,698 Posts
Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Here's Leatherwood's ART II catalog from 1987...

I also have an ART II catalog dated 1996. FWIW, by that time the company name on the catalog was Leatherwood Scopes International, the address was Becker MN, and the email address was DPMS.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The ONLY way to attach this scope to a M!A or M14 is to have the proprietary threaded block that replaces the standard M14 clip guide on the rifle. You need this in order to screw in the rear screw of the scope mount. The ART block is drilled through and through with an adjustable threaded insert (adjustable with an allen wrench) that lets you pull (to a certain degree) the rear of the mount in order to get the scope aligned with the bore of the rifle. Without the block you can PROPERLY attached the scope/mount. You might be able to cobble together a threaded block that might work - but it will not have the adjustment range of the real block. I will try to find a pic and post it.

I guess its a moot point

BUT the block is show in the center of this picture above the scope. It replaces the original stripper clip guide block on the rifle.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Gas

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just posted an internet picture to show the clip block. The markings on the mount mean nothing - they are identical and BOTH require the mounting block to function. Hopefully the buyer has one
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

If you want to see how it looks mounted to a rifle here's a pic

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
First, congrats to Rob Ski for getting a very nice ART II w/ case at a nice price. I have a similar unit.

Apologizes for posting in a classified ad, but maybe this info will be useful. There are two ways to mount an ART II scope. One is to buy from Iron Sights the commerical Leatherwood clip guide that has a threaded attachment flange that looks like the part on the right in the below pic. I bought it in 2016, but I subsequently gave this part to CrazyNoto. I had purchased it for $50 or so - but it might not be available at this point. (There is also a small set screw on the other side with an allen head screw). The clip guide on the left is an older commercial Leatherwood part that was missing the threaded insert. Found on eBay for a few dollars.
Handwriting Office supplies Font Rectangle Writing

Option #2 is the way the US Army mounted ART IIs, which was manually drill and tap a USGI M14 clip guide for the proper position of the rear mounting screw. This was done to accommodate slightly different dimensions re M14 receivers. My military ART II scope was sold by CMP in 1995 and it had a hybrid option, a clip guide was made of tool steel by a military armor who must have had some spare time on his hands, and it was crudely drilled and threaded for the rear mounting screw, and crudely painted with gray paint. (see bottom). This scope and this part was straight from CMP...
Natural material Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Rectangle

That level of crudeness was repeated on the other side, where they installed the set-screw at all off-angle, resulting in exposed threads as seen below. However, a lot of military ART II mounts don't have that set-screw, so mine is a little unusual. (On the other side of this mount it is stamped w/ the serial numbers of the scope, and of the M21 it was once mounted to, #15000127, which was a TRW rifle).
Hat Wood Gas Sun hat Auto part

Despite the looks of that off-angle set screw, it does work. I re-parkerized this military guide part as the old military gray paint looked a little too Bubba-ish...
Wood Trigger Air gun Machine tool Camera lens

My advice? Call Iron Sights Inc tomorrow and see if they still have that clip guide part for sale, and if they only sell it with a complete ART II mount, then have a gunsmith carefully drill and tap the factory M14 clip guide, after carefully ensuring its aligned with the mount. Apologizes for posting in a classified ad, but wanted to help the purchaser understand these two options.

PS: A retired US Army sniper who used an M21 in the mid-1980s told me that after he ensured the scope was tightened down, he always put a dab of white finger nail polish at the 12 o'clock position on both knobs and checked their orientation during training sessions when he was firing a lot. This was to let him know if either knob had loosened up, thereby potentially messing-up his zero. So I use a little bit of black marker at 12 o'clock on my ART TEL and ART II scope mounts...Just an fyi.
Wood Trigger Red Gun accessory Air gun

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,821 Posts
Note that most of the ART II scopes used by the military did not include the special clip guide replacement to accommodate the rear screw. They drilled and tapped the standard clip guide to accept the screw. I've done this on my own M21 rifles. The clip guides are hardened parts so either carbide tools or annealing is required.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I assume it could be used without the clip guide screw, meaning a single thumb screw mount like the AR Tel Mount?
The original AR TEL scope mount from 1969 reportedly loosened too often, so the ART II with 2 attachment knobs was designed to mitigate that issue to some extent. Using the ART II without the rear attachment point would defeat the purpose of improved design of that mount. Drilling the factory clip guide is not a big deal, as long as a carbide bit is used and positioned correctly. No biggie (and if the alignment is off, measure more carefully and drill another clip guide, which are cheap and available).
Auto part Font Metal Rectangle Event

1 - 14 of 14 Posts