M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else used Arrow Wood Finish on military wood stocks? If so, I would like to hear your comments on this product and how you think it compares to other oils and preservatives used on walnut and birch wood. I’m sure some of you have met Bob the owner/founder of MPI at guns shows and saw his products in operation and how easy he makes it look. I am not a big fan of using abrasives on military stocks that still have their original factory finish but I do think it’s a good idea to naturally preserve the wood against the elements, minimizing stock fluctuation for better shot consistency. Thanks for your input!

And yes, if the grain is a little rough or the stock has a few very small nicks and scratches, each application will tend to smooth out the wood more and more.

Home of Van's Instant Gun Bluing and Arrow Wood Finish.

·
Premium Member
6,950 Posts
I can't help you Phinehas, I have never used anything but BLO and Teak oil. I guess you could try it on a well used stock to see if the results suit you.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pure Neatsfoot Oil

I can't help you Phinehas, I have never used anything but BLO and Teak oil. I guess you could try it on a well used stock to see if the results suit you.
I've used the stuff Ren but as far as using an oil with the confidence that it has the best penetration and protection I can't be sure. I remember reading about the use of pure neatsfoot oil on into WW1 on stocks, metal and leather with great results, but all that I find now is Neatsfoot compound, which doesn't work as well.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I believe that neets foot oil and linseed oil are the same thing. Just neets foot is a brand name. Used to be able to get raw linseed oil rather than boiled. Don't know the difference except raw linseed oil + cotton rags+ thrown into small container with out air circulation = fire.
Bob

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I believe that neets foot oil and linseed oil are the same thing. Just neets foot is a brand name. Used to be able to get raw linseed oil rather than boiled. Don't know the difference except raw linseed oil + cotton rags+ thrown into small container with out air circulation = fire.
Bob
No. Neats foot oil in it's pure form is derived from animal parts. Linseed oil is derived from the flax seed. You can still get Linseed oil raw as well as chemicaly boiled. Pure neets foot oil is available but can be a little expensive compared to the petro mixed kind.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. Neats foot oil in it's pure form is derived from animal parts. Linseed oil is derived from the flax seed. You can still get Linseed oil raw as well as chemicaly boiled. Pure neets foot oil is available but can be a little expensive compared to the petro mixed kind.
3headdog,
What do you think is best to use on military stocks?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
3headdog,
What do you think is best to use on military stocks?
Well, I use pure tung oil for M14 stocks. If I was to re-oil a WW2 era M1 then I would most likely use boiled linseed oil.

From what I have gathered around here, PTO was prefered for most of the 20th century, when it could be gotten. Linseed both boiled and raw was used as well, when PTO couldnt be gotten. At any extent it seems that while in usage the servicemen always used linseed to wipe their stocks.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks 3headdog, and I also see some are leaning towards teak oil as an option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts