M14 Forum banner

Army's New Shotgun

5162 Views 35 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  GARRARD
http://www.army.mil/article/74101/1...__brigade_first_Army_unit_issued_M26_shotgun/

Looks like a really nice system

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. (Feb. 17, 2012) -- It weighs 3.5 pounds, has a barrel length of 7.75 inches, fires 12-gauge shells and can be mounted on the M4 carbine or act as a standalone firearm. The M26 Modular Accessory Shotgun System is the latest combat enhancer in Strike's arsenal.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,651 Posts
snuffy will find a way to break it.
If Grunts were issued a 10" 50 Lb. Steel Ball-Bearing...they would destroy it...

And Damn Proud Of It TOO!

GI1

CAVman in WYoming

· Read Only
2,287 Posts
Amerikanski make me laugh!

Feel need to invent Saiga 12 when Saiga 12 already invented! HA! HA! HA!

Where drum? HA! HA! HA!

Did you ever develop hand-held grenade gatling-gun? Oh no just "borrow" South African design.

Better pray for second coming of John Moses Browning or just keep using welded Italian designs.

· Registered
573 Posts
This is some old news, that thing has bhen out for awhile now, it just now got adopted as a standerd weapon.

Good Shooting.

· Inquisitor
11,536 Posts
WTF is wrong with a simple reliable 870. Whizz bang isn't always the best way to go. Did Sons of Guns design this?
Carrying a M4 and a 870 would be a pain in the ass. Having what is essentially an over-under configuration is more practical.

Reactions: GeneCo

· Registered
1,134 Posts
If Grunts were issued a 10" 50 Lb. Steel Ball-Bearing...they would destroy it...
According to my calculations, a 10" steel ball bearing ought to weigh 148.7lbs.

So the bigger problem is- why is the federal government investing so much money into the materials science necessary to create super light ball bearings for some grunt to just smash?

· Registered
686 Posts
I thought an M203 could be mounted underneath the M4? Doesnt the 40mm have a
beehive round,What am I missing other than seeing a duplication of effort/money/less effectiveness,more wieght?M4 was intended as lightwieght, close quarters combat and ease of use in a vehicle or am I wrong.Short barrel semi shotgun under a 14.5in bbl collapsing stock M4.Whats wrong with the picture?The developing agency worryed about thier jobs and felt the need to develop anything!Id just love to hear effectiveness reports from the field.
Most definetly idea borrowed from the resident J. Browning of "Sons of Guns"
Stupid POS!

OK! I get it!? You guys are tin me!!LOL??

· Registered
3,593 Posts
Carrying a M4 and a 870 would be a pain in the ass. Having what is essentially an over-under configuration is more practical.
been there, done that. 870 lives on back, M4 in front. yay for being non-cumbersome.... GI3

This shotgun seems like a careerist-minded-officers smack in the face by the good idea fairy.... just like ACU's, M855A2... certain ROE's etc. I *heart* good OER bullets...

· Registered
4,084 Posts
I thought an M203 could be mounted underneath the M4? Doesnt the 40mm have a
beehive round,What am I missing other than seeing a duplication of effort/money/less effectiveness,more wieght?M4 was intended as lightwieght, close quarters combat and ease of use in a vehicle or am I wrong.Short barrel semi shotgun under a 14.5in bbl collapsing stock M4.Whats wrong with the picture?The developing agency worryed about thier jobs and felt the need to develop anything!Id just love to hear effectiveness reports from the field.
Most definetly idea borrowed from the resident J. Browning of "Sons of Guns"
Stupid POS!

OK! I get it!? You guys are tin me!!LOL??
My guess is that they probably want a shotgun more for breaching purposes than anti-personnel capability.

· Registered
4,084 Posts
They have an 870 that can be mounted to accessory rails just like this thing. It won't hold as many rounds nor fire semi-auto but it also doesn't weigh as much and is smaller.

· Registered
2,649 Posts
They might have been the first unit fielded the shotgun but they were not the first to be equipped. The Army equipped several units, starting with the SF community, since about 2003. Based on the overall performance and comments from the users, its apparent that the Army has decided to turn it into a program of record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M26_Modular_Accessory_Shotgun_System

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.