M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
592 Posts
Grunts will just be beta testing these to work out the bugs before they're pure fleeted to their impending combat force- T-Unit Hunter-Killers.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Soon, every grunt will be carrying a 30 lb Lithium deep-cycle marine battery on his back, to power all of his individual equipment. The Infantry no longer runs on Beans and Bullets. Now it's Beans, Bullets and Batteries. 🤪
There are much better batteries and battery technology out there than lithium.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
And they want more than just nice glass.
The new optic will basically be a computer atop the weapon, calculating range, ballistics, atmospherics, directional information, digital overlay and wireless features to link to devices such as the still-developing Integrated Visual Augmentation System, the Army’s new “do-it-all” goggle expected to begin fielding later this year.

Does it make me coffee and wipe for me to? LOL

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
I'm sure the Taliban is going to love them.
Are you implying that the Brandon administration is going to retroactively abandon these in Afghanistan? :oops:

I'm guessing that Squad and Platoon Leaders will have some kind of bluetooth HUD on their helmets, so that they can see where all the weapons are pointed.

I can remember when sticking Cat Eye iluminescent tape on your front sight ramp and carry handle was considered high-speed James Bond sh!t. Go figure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would think that money spent on teaching marksmanship skills would be a better payout. That scope is way too complicated to keep it running in the field. The military is relying on technology too much instead of individual rifle skills, which is not stressed enough in both military or law enforcement.

·
Eye Master
4,121 Posts
You'd think with electronics we would integrate a 'kill switch', so if it got into enemy hands we could shut it down. Something where once every few weeks it needs to 'connect home' to get a renewed lease on life. That way you avoid that it gets accidentally cut off during a mission, but if we lose it, it does not work for long.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
You'd think with electronics we would integrate a 'kill switch', so if it got into enemy hands we could shut it down. Something where once every few weeks it needs to 'connect home' to get a renewed lease on life. That way you avoid that it gets accidentally cut off during a mission, but if we lose it, it does not work for long.
Back in the last century, everything electronic that the Army had used proprietary batteries. Without a steady supply of them, the device was difficult to use.

Not sure if that is the current policy.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts