M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 vintage Armscorp receiver that was assembled with with surplus parts kit. The headspace checks as excessive - closes on no go and field. I have also been told that the receiver locking lugs were improperly cut, could this be a bolt issue or is it truly a receiver problem? The current barrel is chrome lined which may explain the excessive headspace. I hope I don't have to invest in a new receiver.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a 1987 vintage Armscorp receiver that was assembled with with surplus parts kit. The headspace checks as excessive - closes on no go and field. I have also been told that the receiver locking lugs were improperly cut, could this be a bolt issue or is it truly a receiver problem? The current barrel is chrome lined which may explain the excessive headspace. I hope I don't have to invest in a new receiver.
If its chrome lined, its possibly a NATO 7.62 chamber which is longer than a typical 308 Winchester chamber and would close on a 308 Winchester NO-GO gauge. You would need some 7.62 ordnance gauges to check it accurately, or for the sake of ease anyway...

I havent a clue as to what your lugs are like or anything about Armscorp receivers for that matter...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - the gunsmith built this rifle as a military spec rifle. I have fired a number of surplus rounds through this rifle with no problem. I had a case separation with Remington UMC this is consistent with excessive headspace. I know the differences between 308 and NATO. The bolt is TRW and there appears to be some peaning on the right part of the rail where the bolt rides

·
Registered
279 Posts
Maybe you'll need to install a 50 thou short chambered non chrome lined barrel on your receiver and ream the barrel to the proper headspace..I had a similar problem one time with a Winchester barrel closed on a field guage.. I changed the barrel to a H&R and it head spaced up fine.. So may be easy to fix.. B2B

1 - 4 of 4 Posts