M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my ARMS #18 in the mail from Fulton yesterday. Got it mounted up and my Leupold VXII 3-9X40 Tactical mounted in Leupold Mk4 rings.
What a SWEET set-up! No cheekrest needed and able to keep the rear aperture in the sight base!
On my former '1a I had a Brookfield mount and a Tasco SS10X42. Harris bipod, too. Worked great. Nice and tight. BUT! It was very unbalanced and "Unhandy". And I, for one, didn't like having to look down a "tunnel" to see my irons. Couldn't tell what I was lookin' at! (Except on the range.)
So with my Seekonk T-handle 65" torque wrench in my pocket, it's a pretty quick changeover to irons. And back again. Still pretty handy and fairly well balanced.
YMMV.
Be even quicker with a set of ARMS 22s! But that'll have to wait!
You all have a merry Christmas!
Spud

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Spud!!!

Sounds like you're making a GREAT Christmas for yourself already!!! Very Cool!!!

Glad you got in on the deal! I just received an Enterprise Arms ad in email and it said NEW!!! ARMS #18! Better than the old... blah, blah for $174! Looks like a discount there would surely help!

Aloha and Happy Holidays!

Tom O.

·
Banned
611 Posts
It sounded like you were saying you will take off the whole mount and scope to switch to irons. DON'T! I beleive your scope should slide off just like mine. It's tight but it should be. I have one screw on each ring I can take out and it just slides right off the front and will return to perfect zero every time. I locktighted every thing on my mount a couple years ago when I put it on and it will never be taken off without very good reason. Yesterday, just to show you how good my setup is, I had been shooting some lead bullets in my rifle in the E-2 non bedded stock with the sights. I decided to put it back in my heavy bedded stock and put the scope on again for some long range fun. I shot cast bullets last time with the scope too. I dropped the scope elevation down 12 clicks for my jacketed bullet loads and my very first bullet downrange was a perfect center of the x ring shot at 100 yards. I then went out to 500 yards and whacked a prairie dog right in the chest on the next shot.
I can almost guarantee you that removing the mount instead f just the scope will not give you that level of return to zero capability.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NO NO NO...
The mount stays ON!
The Seeconk T-handle is a 65"/lb torque wrench for the Leupold Mk4 RINGS!
One nut on each ring. They're like Badger Tacticals.
Thanks for the concern, though.

Blue loc-tite was used during the install of the mount after a good degreasing. Used Militech grease to put some rust protection back in to the Parkerizing before I settled it down.
Gotta go.
Trust me.
The mount stays on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
congrats on the ARMS #18 spud. m14dan, 500 yd dog, that is some awesome shooting. IMO it is one of the best mounts, moulded looks part of the receiver like. I am on my second one now. I had the first gen with only two cross slots with the two short rails, but when I saw the new ARMS #18 with the full one piece rail, I just had to have it. Tasco SS 10X with ARMS #22 M completes the package. and if I want to shoot irons, just flip two levers and the scope is off. as far as return to zero, it is always on within one minute, but then my rifle is a 1.5 to 2.0 inch rifle at 100 yds. non bedded in GI fibreglass stock.
happy holidays to all,
rooster33

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.