M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just surfing the net and happened across this article

http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/M14_Scope_Mount_FAQ_070225.pdf

on M14 scope mounts and page 15 talks about fitting the ARMS 18 mount to a commercial receiver. I ended up pulling my M1A out of the safe and inspecting further than I had before.

I did not do any fitting to my ARMS mount because it seemed to attach perfectly. I haven't torqued it down yet because I haven't purchased a scope.

After close examination the only area that draws concern from me is the area circled in photo number 1. It appears to be making contact with the reciever in this area. Also there are some brass tracks on the mount, is this something I should be concerned about as far as losing zero? I fired 80 rounds with the mount on and had no extraction issues. I want to get some professional opinion on the fit before I bother modifying it in anyway. I did install the after market set screw in the front of the mount to prevent interference with the handguard. I hope my pictures are clear enough to offer good judgement.

Another question I have is whether or not my bolt is USGI. I'm sure it isn't but I wanted to ask because it appears to be a different color than on my dad's M1A and SAI installed a chrome firing pin in it according to the papers I received after warranty. The stamp on it reads 7790186-SA F00211.

Thanks for you help! And btw, is Loc Tite blue acceptible to lock this mount down when I put a scope on it? And what scope rings do you recommend for a 1" tube? I was looking at the ARMS 22 rings but I'm not made of money and would rather buy something more affordable but still get quality rings.

Thanks!

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
Don't go TOO cheap on the rings -- they keep your scope on the gun!
Rings should cost at LEAST $60 -- you can probably get one inch Leupolds Mark IVs on some trading posts --

The ARMS mounts low over the action so brass will strike the mount sometimes.
I had one occasion where the brass hit the mount and kicked back into the receiver -- but that was one in about 10,000 rounds

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Mount and bolt

Your bolt is a Springfield Armory Inc. commercial forged bolt.

Your mount does need fitting, shouldn't be hitting there, pay particular attention to how it beds up at the screw base location too, mine was hitting unevenly there all over. Some of the aftermarket promag copies would have uneven spline thicknesses too that cause them to cant. With the arms mount, my choice is the arms #22 rings also, the throw lever is the bomb as far as I am concerned, damn the torpedoes and cost, ...Full Speed Ahead !!!

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Don't go TOO cheap on the rings -- they keep your scope on the gun!
Rings should cost at LEAST $60
I completely agree with you on that... but be prepared for the naysayers to attack with their pitchforks and Walmart rings.

This may sound absurd but look for ring manufacturers who make 34mm or 35mm rings. There aren't too many who do and the ones that do usually make good quality rings. Warne rings are about the cheapest I'd go with.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies! I will do some fitting in that area on my ARMS before mounting a scope. I have really looked it over and without actually doing the modeling clay fitting method that is the only area that appears to be making unwanted contact. It fits perfectly squared up with the Scout mount and they both read the same level (the ARMS obviously sits slightly higher but they have the same reading if you transfer the level). So after I carefully remove the material from that corner of the mount the article says to use Cold Blue on the bare metal. Is this what you all use too? And I plan on buying quality scope rings. I won't end up with walmart rings! Haha. I may just save up and get the ARMS 22 throw rings. Ill regret not getting them down the road. I don't want to cut any corners on this set up. Oh yeah and thanks for the info on my bolt. I was sure it wasn't USGI but after reading on here that some folks luck out and get a USGI part thrown in I wanted to make sure. I don't know how to read the stamps. If anyone else has any input chime in! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
arms makes 1" adapters for their rings. will also buy you a wee bit more clearance for your eye piece and rear sight area.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to hijack does anyone have a picture the mount if its installed correctly. As far as I can tell my arms 18 seem to be fitting just fine, I do not see any contact points like email shows.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update... I tightened everything down and had the idea of of shining a bright penlight from behind the mount in a dark room and checking for contact and light shines through the area of concern. I'm going to leave it and see if I have any problems but its not making contact there like I thought...

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
You can use cold blue, I do often and oil it well after rinsing, ...holds up well......I use blue loctite on my mount and it works fine, doesn't come loose and is removable.....Good idea about the light, a good bright light is the M14 guys friend for many applications, I couldn't make it without mine.....on a side note, make sure your bolt is not interferred with by the screw sticking too far in the bolt raceway on the left side when mounted, had one fulton that had that problem.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I don`t want to hijack this thread, but I need your help. Since there is no chance to find a dealer which ships a LaRue LT608 or a Sage M14DCSB for my EBR stock to Germany I have a question: would an a.r.m.s. #36ex do te job as an extended forearm mount too? This mount is available over here.
Wolf

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Snyper, thats true, until I change it. But, as we say here, I can only plow with the horses I have. GI9

But...
why does it has to be supported? If it returns into the same possition every time it should be OK.

From the pictures of the M14DCSB or LT608 mounts I can`t see, wether they are supported at the charger clip guide.
Wolf

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
That is true. What kind of scope you thinking about putting on there? Fat girl on diving board or skinny chic? Wonder if sagging would be an issue. Then it getting flexed repeatedly...
Not trying to discourage you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don`t want to hijack this thread, but I need your help. Since there is no chance to find a dealer which ships a LaRue LT608 or a Sage M14DCSB for my EBR stock to Germany I have a question: would an a.r.m.s. #36ex do te job as an extended forearm mount too? This mount is available over here.
Wolf
These guys say the #36EX can be attached in reverse to the scout rail to allow mounting of a normal eye relief scope over the receiver:

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-4605-1718-arms-36ex-ar10-super-extended-optical-sight-rail.aspx

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
thank you guys, it first was only a desperate idea, know it seems it would work.GI6
Wolf

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
The Warne rings are good for the money. Gotta make sure to check zero after R/R though. I had a few instances of zero wandering afterward. Some days I ate my wheaties and other days I didn't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts