M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm told this is the lowest mount available (reliable mount) and that good quality quick release rings will get you back to iron sights. My queston: Is the mounted optic low enough to allow same cheek weld as with iron sights.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
For most people the answer is no. However some like a chin weld rather than cheek weld so they pull it off, I'm not one of those people...

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
...My queston: Is the mounted optic low enough to allow same cheek weld as with iron sights.
To add to what NoExpert said, the issue is often not how low the mount is but how much clearance you have between the objective bell and the handguard and the ocular bell and rear sight. You may find that with a really low scope mount like the ARMS, you'll need higher rings to get that clearance and that clearance is more of a problem in the back unless you can get the ocular bell behind the rear sight.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I miss that cheek weld

With forward mounted optics on my Scout I get a good cheek weld. I guess the only solution for scoping a standard M14 is to get an edjustable nylon cheek piece. It slides away easily if you want to shoot iron sights....but then shoot'n with a cushion on my stock somehow don't seem right. I'm gonna do something soon. I'm not sure what.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
How much do you love your stock? If you're not infatuated with it and don't need to hold and stroke it regularly I'd recommend a Desert Warrior Products cheek riser. You have to drill two holes through the stock which is why I ask but it's solid and doesn't have the couch cushion feel to it. Two thumb nuts to adjust it so going from irons to scope is pretty easy.

However if you love your stock more than life then it's not an option.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm Gett'n Closer to Buy'n Somth'n

Good comment Old Salt. Everybody's comments have been helpful. I ain't cutt'n no holes in that walnut stock. I reviewed the Bassett mount today. You don't have to remove the charger guide. They have a hi and a low mount. Only 1/4" different. Feedback on this mount is good and installation and hasty removal is within my capability....I think. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Since you can pull the Bassett mount and go to irons I always recommend the low picatinny mount just so you can get the scope as low as possible.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Done It!

Ordered Bassett low picatinney mount. Somewhere I remember a recommendation to use medium height weaver rings. I've still got research to do on rings but I'm not going to have a large bell on my scope. My starter is a 1 x 4 Leupold. I was thinking of Leupold low mount rings. No Expert "lifer", what do you think about that combination? Cheek weld probably a "no go". I will probably get nylon adjustable cheek piece from Springfield Armory if I can't get locked on my stock for scoped sight picture.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I have minimal info on that setup but when you get the mount and scope I can e-mail you a spreadsheet you can put some measurements into to give you the exact height you need to get it the lowest possible. At the least you need the mount and a couple specs off Leupold's site.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Purchased

I bought the Bassett low mount w/picantinney rail and Burris Xtreme Tactical low mount rings. The day they arrive, weather permitting, is the day I try 'em out. Got to mount the Leupold 1-4x and it's a short drive to the range. Something tells me I may go back to medium rings and a adjustable cheek piece, one or both.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good Combination

The Bassett low mount and Burris low XTR rings work great. I put 41 rounds down range this afternoon without a hitch. I was concerned the empties might hit the mount. That plus I thought the low rings/low mount might put the ears of my iron sights in my scoped sight picture. Mount did not shoot loose. Zero problems. The Leupold Var II, 1x4 looks a bit wierd with only 3/4" extending beyond the forward ring. I may do some adjusting and/or go a different scope. For now, I'm pretty happy. Thanks to everybody for the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts