M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious????.... How many of you here are 11ECHOs, 19ECHOs or 19KILOs????

Gunner, SABOT, Tank!!!

Reactions: budster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Close

I had 19E as an additinal MOS.

Spent my career as a 12F Combat Engineer Vehicle Crewman.

M-728 Combat Engineer Vehicle w/ Mine Rake

M-48/60 Series Armored Vehicle Launched Bridge

The unwanted step-children of the Armor and Engineer communities.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
45B (armorer) in a M60 tank unit 1986-1992. 49th AD, Arlington, TX. learned more than I wanted to know about the M73 and M219 and M85 MGs.
"We traded in our Brownings for this? What's next, .22 caliber rifles and .38 caliber pistols?" I did make the M14 state team though.

·
Banned
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Judging by the strings connecting the witness marks on the muzzle of the main gun, the top picture was taken during a boresighting session. Who would know that except a true tanker?

Yes, Correcto-moon-doh, That would be true… GI5

I took this picture back in October of 2006, here at work. It is my old tank, C-24. At the time it was the Avalanche gunnery training vehicle for the WA-State DOT. Those POGUE D.O.T. pukes think they are so cool, they don’t know S$%t about real tank gunnery, but then again who needs to know, when all they do is lob HEP-T rounds at a mountain side.

·
Registered
227 Posts
. . . gunnery training vehicle for the WA-State DOT.
DOT = Department of Transportation?

I don't get it. Why are the guys who drive snowplows playing with tanks?

Wait. I just reread your post. These guys are using HEP rounds to blast snow on hillsides to prevent folks from getting squished by avalanches, right? I seem to recall stories of these guys using 106 reckless (yeah I know it's recoiless) rifles for the same purpose. Do you suppose they'd let me put a few rounds down range for old times sake if I paid my way out there? You can tell them I was the gunner on the crew that came in second place in 2AD during the '74 tank gunnery season (got the patch to prove it).

·
Banned
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hell On Wheels, 2nd AD!!!!

DOT = Department of Transportation?

Do you suppose they'd let me put a few rounds down range for old times sake if I paid my way out there? You can tell them I was the gunner on the crew that came in second place in 2AD during the '74 tank gunnery season (got the patch to prove it).
Yep, they use Recoilless Rifles and older 105mm Howitzers also. No they are pretty stingy with their ammo.... That’s why they are POGUES to the max. Back in October of 06 when I took that picture, none of the DOT folks had ever been in the military… Total PUKES!!!!

BRAVO ZULU on your 2nd Place for 2AD Tank Gunnery cycle back in 74 in the Gunner's position..

·
Banned
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tankers Rule!!!

Missed Top Gun (TT8) by 2 points 2 years ago (as a Gunner).

Oh well, still earned my boots. That's all that counts, right!

Exactly, if you can "Soldier" as a Tanker, whether as an Army Tanker or Marine Tanker, it matters not. I have seen both down range at work at “Area 51”…. And it is still the basic job description,

“Steel On target”!!,

He who fires first accurately WINS!!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
<--- retired 19D, the Cav is the right kind a wrong! Love it!

·
Banned
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Armor Brotherhood

Anyone, 11E,11D,19E,19K 19D, USMC 1811, 1812 is a Brother at Arms!!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
45b (armorer) in a m60 tank unit 1986-1992. 49th ad, arlington, tx. Learned more than i wanted to know about the m73 and m219 and m85 mgs.
"we traded in our brownings for this? What's next, .22 caliber rifles and .38 caliber pistols?" i did make the m14 state team though.
m73=junk
m219=improved junk into bigger junk.
M85= grandpappy of all junk

i do believe the above are the illegitimate offspring of a french chauchaut.

I was told by the batallion commander that i was an incompetent armorer for not being able to get them to run, f*&k him! I asked him who got them to run? He walked away.

Did make the state m60 team and got the chief's 50 award.

Now they want to do it all over again with 50hbm2, as****s!!!

·
Banned
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
illegitimate offsprings

m73=junk
M85= grandpappy of all junk

I do believe the above are the illegitimate offspring of a french chauchaut.
I concur,

"illegitimate offspring of a french chauchaut".... And the M60 has got to be a cousin to the chauchaut also.

As for .50 Cals I was always able to keep my M85 running. To me the whole problem with the M85 was the way it was mounted. that 90 degree turn of the feed chute in such a small space in the M19 Cupola was the cause of more stoppages than anything. And I never "Hip Shot” my M85 either. I always dropped down and used my periscope. More about .50 Caliber MGs later...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Started as an 11D went through the switch to 19D, got out and came back a couple years later as a 12C00, Cavalry Platoon Leader. I was Cav/Armor my whole 22+ years. As a scout I was at the old school TT VIIIs when we were considered 11 "Details", so we ended up down range in the target bunkers running the targets. That really sucked in the summer at Ft. Hood in '75. 1/66 AR - 2AD

·
Registered
227 Posts
m73=junk
M85= grandpappy of all junk!
Now there's a man who's been there, done that.

It was very common for the loader to have to operate the M73 so he could clear stoppages as they happened. We almost always shot the M85 on the high rate of fire setting as that seemed to work a tiny bit better than the low rate. We even went to the extreme of squirting 30W oil over the rounds as they lay in the tray in the cupola prior to making a run down range. Hell, I would have shaken chicken bones over the damn things if I thought it would have done any good.

During tank gunnery season we'd figure out which machine guns worked better than the rest and try to get them on board the next tank that was making its TT8 run.

Still, when the M85 worked it was awesome. I'd often relink the rounds so that every other round was a tracer. I have a clear image in my mind of engaging targets at 1000 meters at night at Graf with a good M85. Wicked fun.

FWIW, when I got out of Basic I was assigned directly to an operational unit (C 1/66) instead of going to AIT. Everything I learned was OJT. My first platoon sergeant was a Vietnam 11th Armored Cav vet. I learned a lot more than just the stuff in the manuals from him. I served at every crew position and after commissioning became a tank platoon leader (A 2/67), tank company XO and CO, and spent a year or so running the heavy mortar platoon. The rest of the battalion feared the mortar platoon when we went to the field. Usually the mortar plt was simply ignored in the field. Well, that was no fun. So I'd have my guys aggress against any unit that was near by including the battalion TOC. This was all uninvited and unplanned by the S-3. I learned this from my buddy who ran the scout plt.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.