Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a pile ...

Nowhere's near from ...

New

Out

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I'd like to know if Gomer made Gunny or if he was a 'one hitcher' and went back to Mayberry RFD and Wallys Gas Station.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Gomer made drill sergeant. I can hear him now "Well Golly fellers, wouldn't it be nice if you guys dropped and gave me some pushups ? "DI4

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I wander if his rifle is a real M14 or a fake? It looks real.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Shazam, Sargeant!!!

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
My guess is that the rifle Jim Nabors was holding in the photo was a real M14.

Some trivia about Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. and the land where it was filmed:

Hollywood studios, in this case Desilu Studios, have a long history of carte blanche legal access to firearms for their purposes. Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. was produced by Andy Griffith Productions but it was filmed at the Desilu Studios back lot on Washington Boulevard in Culver City, CA. This back lot was also where other shows like The Andy Griffith Show and Hogans Heroes were filmed. It was also where the streets of Atlanta and the mansion, Tara, were built for Gone With The Wind. The fictional town of Mayberry, NC was built on the dirt that had been Altanta, GA for Gone With The Wind. The land was sold off in 1976 so nothing is left of the Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. quonset huts and other outdoor sets. The set for Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. was accessible through a chain link fence on Ince Boulevard.

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. was a CBS television network show that ran for five seasons, September 1964 to May 1969. 150 episodes were aired and it stayed in the top ten during its entire run. Say what you want for cornball humor, it did very well ($$$).

CBS initially rejected Gomer but Danny Thomas, one of the producers, threatened to take the show to NBC. So, CBS agreed to air it. CBS rejected the show at first because the network executives did not think a show with a military theme would be well received by women.

In September this year, I had the very good fortune to tour a privately owned warehouse in the Los Angeles area that stores a tremendous amount of original 35 mm television shows and movies from the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. These original films are owned by about every movie and television production company and studio you could think of. It's likely the largest repository of original film in the United States. This warehouse has 378 climate controlled storage vaults. I had the privilege of seeing the contents of a few of the vaults. The vaults I was shown held the contents of television shows produced by Danny Thomas and Desilu from the 1950s and 1960s. I did not see any canisters of Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. but I did see the original reels from I Spy and The Joey Bishop Show. That's probably more than what you wanted to know but I thought it was interesting.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cant believe someone has the "nuts"
I don't have any nutS

Had one blown off in Hue City ...

I was not referring to Carlos being a wannabe ....
He was a "BOLT" action weapon sniper. The real kind ...
The wanna-be's I refer to are ..... aww ..... nevermind.

Oh yeah ... have a nice day.GI2

Out

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I see the resemblance as well. I wonder if Jim Nabors ever shot one of those M14's he carried around ? Could Carlos Hathcock sing as well as Jim ?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
That's okay SixT, I caught your humor.

I was a kid when that show aired and I still remember my dad, who HATED his time in the Army (late 50s), would laugh at loud at that show.

·
Registered
558 Posts

I don't have any nutS

Had one blown off in Hue City ...

I was not referring to Carlos being a wannabe ....
He was a "BOLT" action weapon sniper. The real kind ...
The wanna-be's I refer to are ..... aww ..... nevermind.

Oh yeah ... have a nice day.GI2

Out
Sorry to hear that 6T, no disrespect intended. If you lost a nut in dun bin phuct or wherever, then you can say whatever you want about Hathcock and I wont complain...MCORPS1

I know its a joke. I know you are not calling Hathcock a wannabe... It was a failed attempt at humor back.....!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts