M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just picked up a couple USGI SA bolts that I stumbled across online, but now that I have them in hand, I think they’re probably reclaimed drill rifle bolts. Their finish looks original, but there are some irregular, non circular patterns on the bolt face. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
11,037 Posts
Well, they do look real nice clean work and hard too tell. What did you pay? I don't have a problem as long as there stated as reclaimed bolts, and the welds are not globed on. What ever they used too weld the bolt face its holding the park so that good news.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,708 Posts
What do they look like on the other end, all the drill bolts I have seen also had a weld on the firing pin tang to the bolt and some times you can tell where they ground them off.

Casey

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I suspect your bolts were spot welded at one time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The top bolt appears to have weld filler penetration. The bolt on the bottom lacks the chamfering around the ejector hole.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The top bolt appears to have weld filler penetration. The bolt on the bottom lacks the chamfering around the ejector hole.
Very good I missed that. Also looking closer the ejector hole seems out of rounded too. So yea these were welded then someone took the time to remove the weld. I hope you didn't pay alot for them

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
I think they are not reclaimed drill rifle bolts. NOS SA bolts have a prominent ring around the firing pin hole as pictured from yours. You also often find cutting rings on the bolt face of USGI bolts.

They look like good used M14 bolts to me. I'd use them without hesitation.

Looking through my stash of perhaps 10-15 used and NOS USGI M14 bolts yours look nothing different than many of mine. My used bolts came from NM M14s and a well known source, Issac McCaskill.

Reactions: Cedmonds

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got both bolts for $300, but I contacted the seller and he agreed to take them back. There was no evidence of any welding on the rear of the bolts, but there was definitely some unusual (non symmetrical) patterns on the bolt face. When I compared them to some of my other bolts I had laying around, they were clearly not like the rest. I'm pretty certain they were from a drill rifle and that just isn't something I'm interested in.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Better safe then sorry. Glad you were able to recoup your$. Now go buy a bolt from jra or lrb! Good stuff and still in busines. Made to gi specs, work. I have no desire to risk my rifle or my$ on old gi parts that may or may not be in spec. Windy city and treeline on the other hand are good too. Yes they are surplus parts but at least verified and inspected. Also American businesses still up and running. That's just my opinion though.

·
Premium Member
6,953 Posts
They have been spot welded, you did the right thing in sending them back. I know there are folks that will use them but why when you can still get good quality USGI bolts.

I believe Tons and Valken called it right.

·
Premium Member
6,953 Posts
I got both bolts for $300, but I contacted the seller and he agreed to take them back. There was no evidence of any welding on the rear of the bolts, but there was definitely some unusual (non symmetrical) patterns on the bolt face. When I compared them to some of my other bolts I had laying around, they were clearly not like the rest. I'm pretty certain they were from a drill rifle and that just isn't something I'm interested in.
I think when you consider where the market is today, USGI bolts for $150.00 apiece should have sent you a clear signal. Drill Rifle Bolt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts