M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im considering a pre ban(1980) Springfield Armory M1A. From the description, I know the barrel is not USGI but what about these other parts?

Trigger housing # 7267030-G, hammer # C46008-5 SA, op-rod # 7667064 SA. Also the barrel is marked on the bottom just ahead of the gas housing "Genesco ILL."

The serial number is 15XXX on this rifle.

·
Registered
371 Posts
1 have 2 Winchester barrels 1 marked on left the other on top, you will have to pull hanguard to see.

RED DOT

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reread the history on Differents site and he says that between 1979 and 1984 Springfield Armory ran short on USGI parts, especially barrels. He states SA purchased Wilson or Criterian barrels for their rifles and I assume this one is one of those. Is having one of these barrels a real disadvantage?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
4C_Ranch said:
I reread the history on Differents site and he says that between 1979 and 1984 Springfield Armory ran short on USGI parts, especially barrels. He states SA purchased Wilson or Criterian barrels for their rifles and I assume this one is one of those. Is having one of these barrels a real disadvantage?
I would still check under the handguards, at the top of the barrel on the left side! A lot of Winchester barrels are marked there.
Otherwise I do not know of any problems with the aftermarket barrels from that era
Shadow

·
Registered
710 Posts
I also have a Winchester barrel, marked above the area you can see with the Op rod pulled back. Had to put on a handguard with "windows" so I could admire the beautiful Winchester logo. ;) Don/t recall seeing a GI barrel marked "Genesco ILL" ahead of the gas cylinder but at 15K yours is a pretty early rifle and perhaps they did them that way for a time. Short of pulling the handguard, is the chamber end of the barrel blue or a dull silver color. If silver, it's chrome lined and GI. Nothing wrong with SA commercial barrels it's just that GI chrome lined last longer.HTH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.