M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lookin at the sticky above, and I was curious to know what ammunition I should not buy? Whether it's due to failures or extra wear on my rifle or whatever the reason may b

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Steel cased. Some say it is ok. I say that for a $1400 rifle, I will stay away from cheap ammo.

There is also some Pakistani Ammo to steer clear of.

WWB is ok, I guess.

Mine loves the Mil Surplus stuff.

Ammo that is lacquer coated may bring issues as well.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: swagbrdr

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Steel cased. Some say it is ok. I say that for a $1400 rifle, I will stay away from cheap ammo.

There is also some Pakistani Ammo to steer clear of.

WWB is ok, I guess.

Mine loves the Mil Surplus stuff.

Ammo that is lacquer coated may bring issues as well.

Hope this helps.
I have to agree, save the steel cased stuff for what it was designed, being shot out of a Communist rattle trap by an expendable soldier.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
Research, still the best game in town anymore...

I would stay away from Corrosive ammunition or brands that are labeled with Animals or Metals (steel case, lacquer coated and or Communist).

Military surplus ammunition and American commercial ammunition.are much better for your M14/M1A rifle.

Try looking here Pbmaster2k89... The Cheapest 7.62x51mm on the Internet

DI5

·
Registered
751 Posts
Stay away from really old military surplus ammo, anything with corrosive primers, British cordite rounds, French .30-06 surplus, or ammo made in India, or pretty much any third-world country where you wouldn't drink the tap water.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
Oh and besides the difference between dag and men, is a nickel plated round honestly ok to fire out of an m1a?
Yes, it's good to go and soft.DI2

·
Registered
751 Posts
Oh and besides the difference between dag and men, is a nickel plated round honestly ok to fire out of an m1a?
It works fine. It's actually a copper-nickle jacket over a lead core, with more nickel than copper, so it looks white instead of coppery. Nickle is a magnetic metal, and there's enough in the jacket that the bullet slightly attracts a magnet, but it's NOT steel or iron cored ammo.

·
Retired Admin
19,130 Posts
The lost art of Research is doing great...

Cool, and the difference between German DAG and MEN?
Different manufacturing plants Pbmaster2k89, hence the different headstamps for German military ammunition.DI5

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
DAG and MEN are basically identical. The German bullets are cupronickle so have a silvery appearance. In addition, they fragment more dramatically than US M80. (Ref: Fackler)

Before anybody jumps on the "fragmenting bullets are against the Hague Convention" these bullets are FMJ and conform to the Convention.

JWB

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry bringing this back, i was wondering if spanish and israeli ammo are ok. I really like the german dag and men but i would like to try other ammo. I know, i know, its prob going to be hard to find

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.