M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things that led me back to the M14 (pardon me, M1A) - was my experience as a young man with an old milsurp K98. It was an Israeli capture rifle that had been rebarrelled to .308. I settled on a load of RE15 and nosler 150 Ballistic Tips and that was all I shot in it - and it shot well! At the time I was dirt poor and scooped empties out of the brass pail to reload. I didn't even bother to sort them out - I just re-stuffed them and went shooting! Believe it or not that gun just didn't seem to care on whit about brass or primers. If I switched bullets or powders groups would shift.

I think my M1A is brass sensitive. If I brass on my reloads I get a shift of around two or three inches depending on what brass I use. (That is what I notice shooting offhand at 100 yards). Do you guys notice that as well? Do you sort your brass for even practice ammo? I think I am going to have to!

Also, I just bought some unprimed Nosler brass and I am not impressed with it. I am on my second reload and I already have that shiny ring around the web of the case. Gawd I wish I could get my filthy grubbers on the Lake City stuff up here in Canada...USN4

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Do you mean switching brass types? Different brass has different capacities so different pressures and velocities. LC and LC are thick, winchester commercial are thin etc.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
What noob14s said and different neck thicknesses will produce different tension unless you are sorting and sizing with changeable neck bushings. (Probably not to near the same effect as a change in capacity).

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think if you're shooting one-and-done, the brass doesn't matter so much, although I would keep it to the same brand for the sake of consistent shooting accuracy. If you reload, though, I wouldn't use anything except milspec brass. The M14 action is hard on brass, and the heavier grade military stuff can handle more abuse than the commercial stuff can.

Since brass by itself isn't the same as loaded ammo, why can't you get it in Canada? Is that a restricted import item?

·
Registered
704 Posts
you will also find brass quality will make for a huge difference in accuracy. you will have to find which brass your rifle likes. I have found that milspec brass is not that good.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
I think my M1A is brass sensitive. If I brass on my reloads I get a shift of around two or three inches depending on what brass I use. (That is what I notice shooting offhand at 100 yards). Do you guys notice that as well? Do you sort your brass for even practice ammo? I think I am going to have to!

There is a old saying when reloading for the M-Guns, the next reload is never as accurate as the one last fired.

There are many, many little things we do too help midigate these little accuracy robbing gremlins.

You didn't discribe your rifle or your reloading regiment so its hard too quantify if its a ammo, rifle or shooter issue. Most shooters do there accuracy testing off the bench or prone not Offhand aka aufullhand.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Glen
Why is it hard to get LC Brass in Canada? I will ship it to you if no one else will and it is not against your laws.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I only have the one M1A. It's never mattered to it what type/brand of brass I run through it. Military or commercial. Accuracy is "okay" but nothing to brag about. Years ago (35 or so) I'd buy hunting ammo and shoot through it just to get the brass. .308 brass wasn't easy to find in Greenbrier County in those days.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
So far as I can tell the m14 is everything-sensitive

Stock
Brass
Bullet
Primer
Coal
Seating depth
Sizing die used
Piston
Gas tube
Flash hider
Trigger group
Draw pressure

Mix and match for different results.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
To get consistent results, hand loads should be checked with a chronograph. Best accuracy with bullets in the 165 to 175 grain range are all going to travel under 2650 FPS. 150 grain bullets can be loaded for up to 2750 FPS. Higher velocities don't result in better accuracy. Military brass must be loaded lighter due to it's thicker brass which creates higher pressure. Usually 1 to 1.5 grains lighter.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
All firearms are "brass sensitive" but most shooters simply don't shoot well enough to see it. I'll bet that back "when" you were less attentive about the details and the group size.

If you are shooting Minute of Barn Door then you aren't going to care and you wont see the difference. But if you are trying to shoot sub-MOA then you will definitely find out which brass shoots better. There's a reason why some people (myself included) will only buy Lapua brass and Federal 210M primers for their loads.

Most people accuse me of foolishly wasting money but then they also believe that the M1A rifle is only capable of 2 - 3 MOA groups.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have been using Remington brass in my Norinco since I got it (about 1000 rounds ago) I have only ever used Remington brass because that is what I had. Never had a case seperation or the shiny ring. I check for inside case signs of seperation every 2 or 3 reloads though just to be sure. I full length size but only enough to push the shoulder back a few thou. Learned that early on with my Enfields!!

Rodney

1 - 12 of 12 Posts