M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
Army definitely issued in the early seventies. Looking at mine with my SSN, blood type and religion. Never heard of having a gas mask size on them.
Mine tags were the same way. The only thing I had to update was my I.D. card when I was promoted to Sp.4 and 5. -Lloyd 馃嵒

Reactions: thoban531

Registered
Mine tags were the same way. The only thing I had to update was my I.D. card when I was promoted to Sp.4 and 5. -Lloyd 馃嵒
I also have a tan rubber cover on one of the tags. It has space for eyeglass prescription info. Not sure of its practicality but it makes a nice little pouch for a P38 can opener if you have one on your chain. Keeps it from digging into your chest.

Registered
I also have a tan rubber cover on one of the tags. It has space for eyeglass prescription info. Not sure of its practicality but it makes a nice little pouch for a P38 can opener if you have one on your chain. Keeps it from digging into your chest.
I remember those covers, and yes, I did keep my eyeglass prescription on a small plastic coated card inside one of them. Made up a new card when I changed prescription in Texas. Used those covers at Ft.Hood and Germany. -Lloyd 馃嵒

Registered
I was commissioned USAF in 1980 and was not issued dog tags or even required to have utilities/BDUs until I was in at least 6 years. So if I had gotten out as a junior O-3, I would have never had dog tags.

Registered
Navy Seabee 71-97 and we were issued dog tags in boot camp. and up until 1974 I think we were issued service numbers then in 1974 that changed from service numbers to using our SS numbers

Reactions: KurtC

Registered
I thought it started in the early 70's, but there is a post above about having the SSN in the late 60's.
The older brother of a good friend of mine was drafted in February of '69. He said his social security number was on his tags along with USA under his s.s. number. He said USA was for draftee's, and other guys had RA for regular army if they enlisted, along with USAR and NG. -Lloyd 馃嵒

Registered
US Army my dad had them 1942 to 1946, I still have his. US Navy had them 1972 to1975 still have mine. Mine had my SS number which you had to address your letters with it also, your name, ships name SS number FPO San Francisco, CA!
Had three tags, two stainless with name, USN, SS number, religion, blood type and one red one with any allergies. Still used SS number during that time frame.

Registered
Who knows. Seems to be an "up in the air" thing about what can be put on them. Marine Corps is currently being "Reinvented" Army is being retrained to comply with "woke" standards, Navy is busy trying to decide which uniforms to issue since the latest Admiral is transgender. Maybe the Air Force and Coast Guard still issue id tags.

Registered
I have a friend that was Air Force from 75-79 and he doesn鈥檛 recall getting dog tags.
I would have thought tags with your name and blood type would be standard issue for all military readiness.
Is this not the case or is he mistaken / forgotten / drunk?
Dog tags have been required issue, in various forms, since 1906. Prior to that, they were private purchase items. Got mine in 鈥71, which showed my social鈥efore that it was a service number, and now I think it may be back to something other than a social鈥ut, don鈥檛 know.

Registered
I have a friend that was Air Force from 75-79 and he doesn鈥檛 recall getting dog tags.
I would have thought tags with your name and blood type would be standard issue for all military readiness.
Is this not the case or is he mistaken / forgotten / drunk?
my son is a USAF recruiter鈥sked him鈥ays dog tags still show the social, but the CAC card has a DOD number used primarily for medical records and such.

Registered
Custom service rifle builder
I retired in 93. Dog tags were always issued, but generally not worn. They stayed with the members personnel records unless deployed to a combat zone. I wore mine during Desert Storm, but not while deployed to Korea or anywhere else.

Registered
I retired in 93. Dog tags were always issued, but generally not worn. They stayed with the members personnel records unless deployed to a combat zone. I wore mine during Desert Storm, but not while deployed to Korea or anywhere else.
The only time we were required to wear them was when flying on military aircraft. I'm sure it was a requirement in a combat zone also. I was never stationed in a combat zone only an occupation zone.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts