M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that was Air Force from 75-79 and he doesn’t recall getting dog tags.
I would have thought tags with your name and blood type would be standard issue for all military readiness.
Is this not the case or is he mistaken / forgotten / drunk?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
We all got/have tags. It’s currently a mobility requirement but I can’t speak to the 70s. I would guess they had them but we’d have to hear from some of the others.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a friend that was Air Force from 75-79 and he doesn’t recall getting dog tags.
I would have thought tags with your name and blood type would be standard issue for all military readiness.
The answer is Yes, He was issued dog tags, HOWEVER, it depends on his MajCom, AFSC (MOS) as to how close he needed to be to his dog tags. Air Crew, definitely had their tags on a daily basis. I was mobile Tactical Radar and since we were part of the AF Camping program, we wore our dog tags on a daily basis. If you were stationed at a large Air Base, once again, it depended on your job. When I was assigned to 25Air Division (McChord AFB) in the Weapons/Surveillance Radar section, my dog tags were in my ready bag along with my red military passport and only saw the light of day if I had to augment another unit. I retired from the military in '87 but I can't imagine the need has changed too much.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,024 Posts
I had Dog Tags back in the 60's, lost them one night in '71. I had to get a 2nd pair, a couple months later I found them after our SP 8" drove over them a few dozen times.

XXIV Corps

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
Dog tags are issued during basic training and are standard throughout the military. During the mid 80's, there was a computer chip that we were issued for sterile operations, to be worn instead of the dog tags. I don't recall seeing them outside of SOCOM.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
My Dad had a set in the late 50's early 60's. They had the oldskool "tooth notch" in them and you had a real service number (rather than your social) among other things as pointed out by nf1e. Never understood why they went away from a service number. All of my relatives who served knew theirs until their dying day, even if they were forgetting other stuff. I guess you never forget hearing your DI scream it at you and it embeds into your DNA.

I can see the value of your dogtags helping you out if you get hammered and forget your name...🤪

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
After Vietnam, the military stopped issuing Service numbers and began using SSN's.

The notch in the old tags was actually to hold the tag in the embossing machine, but GI's quickly found another use for them during WWII.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After Vietnam, the military stopped issuing Service numbers and began using SSN's.

The notch in the old tags was actually to hold the tag in the embossing machine, but GI's quickly found another use for them during WWII.
I’m assuming a good bottle opener?
Was it that strong ?

I wonder how they put that info into a stamping machine before we had computers? Must have been a manual setting of switches. That would be a job that would drive me to drink and use the bottle opener.

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
I’m assuming a good bottle opener?
Was it that strong ?
Many WWII vets have told the story that the notch was used to hold the tag in the teeth of a soldier KIA. This is when fallen troops were still being buried overseas or in the ocean. It was not a prescribed policy, but apparently it was done.

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
I wonder how they put that info into a stamping machine before we had computers? Must have been a manual setting of switches. That would be a job that would drive me to drink and use the bottle opener.
I think the original ones were done manually, with a lever. one numeral at a time. The one I saw in 1981 looked like it had a typewriter style keyboard.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was an officer in the Navy in that time frame and a little later - I did not get them, No other Officers I knew had them, never saw any of my Sailors with them. the Marines I commanded had them.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,024 Posts
In the late '60s the Army was issuing our Dog Tags with our SSN's on them Kurt.

XXIV Corps

Reactions: KurtC
1 - 20 of 41 Posts