M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does SAI mark their National Match rear sight body NM. The Rifle in question is in the 2074XX range. Thanks

·
Very Old Salt
1,908 Posts
Yeah I was pretty bummed when I got mine and they weren't marked. I think that SEI NM sights are marked on the bases. Couldn't get the set though because I'm using a SA receiver with ball and detent style windage. I'll probably end up buying a GI base

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My rear Sight is unmarked also. I thought that is was strange because they do mark the NM front Sights. Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
FWIW neither of my NM SAI were marked on the rear. All of the SAI, even standards appear to be delivering with NM front sights

·
Very Old Salt
1,908 Posts
FWIW neither of my NM SAI were marked on the rear. All of the SAI, even standards appear to be delivering with NM front sights
Why would they ship out NM front sights on standards? With the rider aperture on the rear, in my opinion, would make aiming more difficult.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine say NM on it but is only visible if I crank the elevation all the way up. M1A loaded if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Only the nm sight bases with the finer threads are marked. Springfield uses a ball and detent and a notched knob. The base is essentially a standard base. Springfield uses this standard base with the hood notch in it, nm front site and nm flash hider on all there rifles now to streamline manufacturing.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
SAI sights have been pretty well covered, but there may be other NM rear sights without marking too. The only way to tell is the depth of the valley to allow using a hooded aperture and the thread spec for windage.

Note that some GI NM rear sight bases were marked with white ink which often gets rubbed off. They were late contract parts and I believe they were investment castings, but still GI. It would be near impossible to distinguish these from commercial sights.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Why would they ship out NM front sights on standards? With the rider aperture on the rear, in my opinion, would make aiming more difficult.
This is what Im running into on my 10ish year old Standard I recently purchased. IMO, yes, Im not a fan of the sight picture. Aperture just seems HUGE, and is drilled low on the sight, so you get a "halo" thats thicker at the top of your sight picture. Driving me nuts, so Im gonna change out the rear sight. For the price, Im gonna try a Krieger aperture and see if I like it better.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
A hooded aperture will not fit a standard base properly. I suggest perhaps you contact forum member and site sponsor ShootingSight.

Here is his dedicated M14TFL forum section:
http://m14forum.com/shootingsight-com/

I really shoot much better with a 0.0595 NM non-hooded rear aperture. ShootingSight can hook you right up. I bet you'd like it. Increases depth of field allowing for better focus on the front post and the smaller aperture allows me to set the front sight wings up in the same location and this provides consistent head position. Tightens up my iron sight groups for sure.

·
Very Old Salt
1,908 Posts
I tried the krieger hooded aperture on my old standard base. I fit it perfectly as far as width was concerned, but it just didn't seem to mesh well with the elevation pinion. They say it works, but no luck in my case. That's when I decided to just buy the whole set.

This is what Im running into on my 10ish year old Standard I recently purchased. IMO, yes, Im not a fan of the sight picture. Aperture just seems HUGE, and is drilled low on the sight, so you get a "halo" thats thicker at the top of your sight picture. Driving me nuts, so Im gonna change out the rear sight. For the price, Im gonna try a Krieger aperture and see if I like it better.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I use a PB Elevation pinon and NM/2a base and NM Windage knob (purchased from treeline) Have no problem getting a good sight picture with either my NM Aperture or SAI standard aperture. In fact I do prefer the standard aperture because that hooded aperture will be worthless in low light conditions. But for day time target shooting the hooded aperture is defiantly the better choice.

·
Registered
851 Posts
A hooded aperture will not fit a standard base properly. I suggest perhaps you contact forum member and site sponsor ShootingSight

actually alot of the sai sight bases are notched to accept the hooded rack. i cant recall when they started doing this but it was several years ago

1 - 20 of 20 Posts