M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i seem to be getting caught up in the TRW craze , as far as barrels are concerned is TRW better than Winchester or the others ? im thinking about buying a barrel and am wondering if i need to be concerned or picky about what i get , thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,065 Posts
All barrels had too meet the same standards TRW`s are nice and help the value of the rifle but USGI is USGI. Now that I said that, I like the Canadian Arsenals barrel(yes its made in the USA, Canada is the 51st state they just dont know it) then the SAK over a TRW.
All three barrels are known for the high standards as well as there accuracy. JMHO

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D Having only Experience with H&R and TRW I Prefer the TRW for Accuracy! ;)

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,821 Posts
GI Barrel Quality

The right answer is no. While all GI barrels were rquired to meet certain specifications, there is a wide range of factors that are encompassed within that range. Many GI barrels exhibit ruff machining both in the bores and outside. Chrome plating thickness varries throughout the length of most barrels. Accuracy requirements were very generous. Head space specs ran from 1.634" to 1.640" per government drawings. None of the M14 contractors, who produced complete rifles, were superior to any other when it came to barrels. Most armorers considered the SAK (Saco-Lowell) replacement barrels to be the most consistant and highest quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.