M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I modified a second-hand Archangel stock to work with the VLTOR CASV-14 rail on my SA M1A standard grade rifle. I searched the web and couldn't find any info on how to do this other than a few pictures with the combination installed. I removed about .100" on the top edges of the forend channel with a DA sander and 60 grit sandpaper. I also radiused the top front edges of the Archangel's composite stock ferrule. Several iterations of assembling and checking produced a very nice finished product with even clearance on the entire forend. Once finished, there was nice draw pressure on the lip of the front barrel band and no other contact with the stock forward of the receiver. The job took about 2 hours from start to finish. I took it to the range yesterday and it was consistently printing 1.5 MOA 3 shot groups with FGM 7.62X51mm 175SMKs off the bench at 100 yards and functioned flawlessly. A picture is attached. BTW, I can't take credit for the Kuiu camo on the stock.

S/F,

CA Machine gun Trigger Air gun Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
8,544 Posts
Nice looking rifle!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice stick! How do you like the stock? I’ve read several reviews that stated LOP was way too long.
I definitely think the LOP is way too long. I am 6'1" and I can get it to barely fit me with the LOP adjusted all the way to minimum length. This leaves no adjustability for smaller statured shooters. As you can see in the pic, my optic is adjusted as far as possible to the rear. I have the rear Badger Ordnance EBR ring in the rearward most pic rail. The simplest option is to shorten or remove the recoil pad. Another option is a cantilevered rear ring. There is also a rail section that replaces the rear sight. On the plus side, the stock locks up really tight and is very stiff in the forend area. I hope this answers your question, sir!

S/F

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There was some discussion about the Length of Pull of the Archangel stock being too long. Mine actually measures 13.875 from the forward face of the trigger to the rear of the buttpad with it adjusted fully forward. I believe the ProMag website lists the minimum LOP of the Archangel as 13.5 inches. The VLTOR CASV-14 rail system has no slot directly on top of the clip guide and I had my optic mounted as far to the rear as possible using Badger Ordnance EBR rings as can be seen in the pic from my previous post. I could barely get proper eye relief on my optic with the buttpad fully forward. I am 6'1" so this left no adjustability for a smaller-built shooter. My solution was to replace the EBR rings with an Armalite cantilevered one piece mount turned the opposite direction from which it was originally intended. I now have correct eye relief and plenty of adjustability. The mount could actually be moved to the rear one more slot. This is the best shooting M1A I have had my hands on, including the M21 I had in my weapons locker on my last deployment to Iraq. After tuning the Schuster gas plug to the minimum setting to get consistent bolt lock on the last round, it is sub-MOA 3 shot groups with FGMM 7.62X51mm 175 SMKs. It is also a supper-soft shooter with the gas turned down and Surefire Comp. I attached pics after the modification. Let me know your thoughts. THANKS!!

Semper Fidelis,

CA Trigger Air gun Recreation Gun accessory Gun barrel
Air gun Gas Gun accessory Trigger Auto part

1 - 10 of 10 Posts