M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Squad Scout M1/A Platform. It's in a Black Composite stock. I want to get the Archangel Adjustable Cheek Weld Stock to replace the one on the Rifle.

Archangel® Springfield Armory® M1A™ Precision Stock - Black Polymer

Here's the Rub. This stock also has an adjustable length adjusting knob which enables you to adjust the fitment for your personal feel.

The Sad part is I live in New Jersey. Sliding stocks or adjustable length stocks are not allowed. Tried contacting Pro Mag for info on having it locked so it cannot be adjustable but I'll have to waite a few days before they even call me back to see if this is possible.

Any suggestions..??? Is there another stock with an adjustable Cheek Weld section that will work with my Scout Squad that does not have a length adjustment?

Thanks In Advance....

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Not hard to fix it in place. Fill the space if any between it, glue it, and put epoxy in the knobs.

I'd rather have the MacMillan though. They will both be on the heavy side, but if you don't need your Scout to keep light, not a problem.

I've put two rifles in Archangel stocks (and 2 out of 3 stocks I've handled weren't straight), and while I think they're fine for what they are, and better in some ways than the synthetic stock (stiffer), and they do offer the adjustable length of pull and cheek rest, the reason they're still on the rifles they are have more to do with the aesthetic theme that functional benefit, though JD has told me that with some work they can be made into something that performs well, still waiting on that.

From a functional standpoint, if you're not okay with the weight or cost of the MacMillan I'd just grab a USGI fiberglass stock, install an adjustable TacPro cheek riser, and if you actually need to customize length of pull, play with butt pad options, or epoxy a heavy rubber pad of necessary length on the back. The Archangel length of pull, if I recall correctly, only goes close to and longer than the USGI standard stock length of pull.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys... I appreciate your help. Weight is not a problem. But having a cheek weld and a good grip area is the reason I like this stock. I used to own an M1/A (22" Barel) Walnut stock. I sold that and got the Scout Squad as I liked the Rail mount for the scope which it now has. I like the idea of a Crank it up cheek weld on the Achangle so my Bud's can shoot it also.

If I can Locate a dealer who does not list any shipping restrictions then I'll buy one and lock out the length adjustment per your suggestions and stay within the Law. I am 100% legal and an NRA member and do respect the Laws of my State.

Also "Chief On One"...I like that stock you have..Of Course it's painted our Favorite Color...Vietnam Don't Shoot Me OD...LMAO..

So thanks guys for replying and Ed-U-Ma-Kating me...

Regards: Mark.... VN ..66-67

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe NJ also prohibits this gun having a threaded barrel, so you will run into issues with more than just the stock.

MagLatch makes a device to”fix” the magazine, making the adjustable stock and muzzle device legal. You’d just need to use stripper clips.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you are correct... However ...the M1/A is legal as the compensator is locked on the barrel with a special nut which requires a tool to remove. Also the Scout Squad has a Different Compensator screwed on which uses the same system.
AR-15's Come thru to NJ with no threads on the barrel. And to take it further...No shotguns with Pistol Grips are allowed either. But your can have a Rifle with a Pistol Grip... Go Figure.??????⚛

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Very first thing to do to an archangel is to add a front ferrule, it is crucial for draw pressure, a ton of experience with this stock, always available for answers.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Not set of changing your mind, but just for the sake of feeling out your options...

This is a TacPro on a Wolfe Modified Fiberglass stock. You can mount it on anything if you can use a drill and follow directions.

Couple of knobs to loosen, reposition, and retighten in a jiffy.

Faster, and stays put too, doesn't get wobbly up high. Depending on your face, it might allow both irons and scope without removal, or you can modify the wells and open up the slots if necessary should you need it to drop near the original comb height, but I haven't tried that, as I haven't needed to.

Just options. If the archangel is what you want, get what you want, not suggesting otherwise. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Meat Man...L.O.L.
I like that stock ...Made note of the MFG and will check it out if the Archangel doesn't work out. Found this on the web as far as NJ and NY goes..
"PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION
OF THE WEAPON" MEANS A GRIP THAT ALLOWS FOR A PISTOL STYLE GRASP IN
WHICH THE WEB OF THE TRIGGER HAND BETWEEN THE THUMB AND INDEX FINGER
CAN BE PLACED BELOW THE TOP OF THE EXPOSED PORTION OF THE TRIGGER WHILE
FIRING.

From Google Search:
Under New Jersey law, a firearm is classified as an "assault firearm" if it meets the following criteria: Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and at least two of the following: Folding or telescoping stock. A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.

Received the new Archangel Stock today. Their is a Piece that is not on the directions or Pictured in the exploded view.
I will take some pic's and post here. This one piece fell out of the sealed plastic package. Took me a while to figure out what this thing is. Looks like it is to comply with the above about the web of your hand. Looks like a western saddle..
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg

Again this small part not mentioned in the instructions There is a hole on the underside which looks like a way to run a screw into it thru the stock where it sits. However their is no hole in the stock for a screw to come thru to attach this piece.... What do you Gentlemen think..??? I'll be calling The company to morrow and ask what's up with the law and NJ compliance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not set of changing your mind, but just for the sake of feeling out your options...

This is a TacPro on a Wolfe Modified Fiberglass stock. You can mount it on anything if you can use a drill and follow directions.

Couple of knobs to loosen, reposition, and retighten in a jiffy.

Faster, and stays put too, doesn't get wobbly up high. Depending on your face, it might allow both irons and scope without removal, or you can modify the wells and open up the slots if necessary should you need it to drop near the original comb height, but I haven't tried that, as I haven't needed to.

Just options. If the archangel is what you want, get what you want, not suggesting otherwise. :)

Thanks Jonb2488:
Explain what you mean about front Ferrule? What is it and where does it go?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also Meat man.... Thought about getting a stock but hate the idea of drilling out the holes for the Cheek Weld Unit.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
If I can Locate a dealer who does not list any shipping restrictions then I'll buy one and lock out the length adjustment per your suggestions and stay within the Law. I am 100% legal and an NRA member and do respect the Laws of my State.
Regards: Mark.... VN ..66-67
I'm in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Kommiefornia so I know your pain. This is what I do if I get a seller who won't sell/ship here. I get ahold of a friend of mine in Nevada, let him know he's receiving a package for me and have the seller ship there, then my partner ships here or I go to Vegas and pick it up!!! Works every time. You should be able to do the same thing with one of the states around you like Pennsylvania -Lloyd 🍻

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Kommiefornia so I know your pain. This is what I do if I get a seller who won't sell/ship here. I get ahold of a friend of mine in Nevada, let him know he's receiving a package for me and have the seller ship there, then my partner ships here or I go to Vegas and pick it up!!! Works every time. -Lloyd 🍻
L.O.L...Well I'm in The Nazi State of NJ...
When I did a search on the net for the Archangel I found a supplier. I asked them ..Is this ok to ship to NJ and for him to check. After a min or two he came back and said...No problem...I see no restrictions for shipping it to your state of NJ.

So I had him ship it and it came in to day. I belong to a rifle range that has strict rules on NJ Firearms Compliance and also has Range officers. So if this turns out to be a No No I will pin the stock so it won't be adjustable.

Thanks For the Reply(y)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Meat Man...L.O.L.
I like that stock ...Made note of the MFG and will check it out if the Archangel doesn't work out. Found this on the web as far as NJ and NY goes..
"PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION
OF THE WEAPON" MEANS A GRIP THAT ALLOWS FOR A PISTOL STYLE GRASP IN
WHICH THE WEB OF THE TRIGGER HAND BETWEEN THE THUMB AND INDEX FINGER
CAN BE PLACED BELOW THE TOP OF THE EXPOSED PORTION OF THE TRIGGER WHILE
FIRING.

From Google Search:
Under New Jersey law, a firearm is classified as an "assault firearm" if it meets the following criteria: Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and at least two of the following: Folding or telescoping stock. A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.

Received the new Archangel Stock today. Their is a Piece that is not on the directions or Pictured in the exploded view.
I will take some pic's and post here. This one piece fell out of the sealed plastic package. Took me a while to figure out what this thing is. Looks like it is to comply with the above about the web of your hand. Looks like a western saddle.. View attachment 447644 View attachment 447645 View attachment 447646 View attachment 447647

Again this small part not mentioned in the instructions There is a hole on the underside which looks like a way to run a screw into it thru the stock where it sits. However their is no hole in the stock for a screw to come thru to attach this piece.... What do you Gentlemen think..??? I'll be calling The company to morrow and ask what's up with the law and NJ compliance.

As if often the case with gun law compliance, when you skirt the line you run the risk of LE not knowing or caring if that small bit of plastic makes this gun within compliance, locking you up and taking your weapon, and you having to argue your case in court.

As a NY gun owner who has an M1a dealing with similar laws, I would keep in traditional rifle stock, or lock the mag. Doesn't seem worth the risk.

·
Registered
52 Posts
L.O.L...Well I'm in The Nazi State of NJ...
When I did a search on the net for the Archangel I found a supplier. I asked them ..Is this ok to ship to NJ and for him to check. After a min or two he came back and said...No problem...I see no restrictions for shipping it to your state of NJ.

So I had him ship it and it came in to day. I belong to a rifle range that has strict rules on NJ Firearms Compliance and also has Range officers. So if this turns out to be a No No I will pin the stock so it won't be adjustable.

Thanks For the Reply(y)
I wouldn't have that be the litmus test for legality. The stock is legal. Put the gun in it, and not so much. Same was the case with 30 round mags. You could buy them and have them sent to you. As soon as you receive it, if you do not permanently modify it to only fit 10 you have a felony on your hands.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wouldn't have that be the litmus test for legality. The stock is legal. Put the gun in it, and not so much. Same was the case with 30 round mags. You could buy them and have them sent to you. As soon as you receive it, if you do not permanently modify it to only fit 10 you have a felony on your hands.
Yeah I hear Yah...That little piece is a Filler to make the stock Legal In NJ. Watched the Video on Youtube. So I'll be able to keep the adjustability of length. Familiar with the Mag Thang...All my mags are 10 rounds or have been riveted to only hold 10. I'll be dropping in the action this week end.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts