M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem - My 1985 M1A-A1 Receiver will not fit flush with the Archangel Precision Stock - AAM1A.

After reading a lot of the forum discussions on the Archangel Precision Stock, I ordered an Archangel Precision Stock for my M1A-A1. I followed the Promag YouTube installation video to the letter. I painstakingly trimmed the trigger pads to ensure a tight fit. It seems now that no matter what I do, my M1A will not fit as described in the literature or video.

My M1A was manufactured in 1985. Evidently, pre-1990 M1As will not fit as described. Please see an extract from an article that I found online by Firearms News.

“Receiver to stock fit is tight like a bedded rifle and the actions I tested all fit nicely with one exception. Springfield Armory M1A receivers made prior to 1990 (estimated) may have a ridge on the bottom right hand surface that will interfere with stock fit (see photo). The stock will have to be relieved in this area so the receiver will seat flush.”

See Firearms News Article - http://www.firearmsnews.com/guns/longguns/m1a-stock-options-pro-mag-archangel/#ixzz43TwNhLvY

This is what I basically sent to Promag's Technical Support - What are my choices? May I return my AAM1A stock to you or what would you suggest? Since the trigger pads were filed per your YouTube installation video, a tight fit will no longer be possible with any type of inletting. I’m not an expert here by any means.

I need your help and assistance.

Hopefully, this will help prospective buyers know that not all M1As are a drop in fit with just the trimming of the Trigger Pads. Caution should be exercised...

·
Registered
11,674 Posts
Those receivers with the ridge pose a problem for all stocks, not just the Archangel.

Some folks relieve the stocks, but some have also removed the ridge from the receiver so that they have more options with stocks.

·
Godspeed Greyson
2,126 Posts
The difference in receiver shapes has been discussed here before. It is the same issue when attempting to fit these receivers to GI stocks.
Relieveing the stock for the receiver ledge you describe, usually does not completely eleviate the problem. Nor will machining the ledge off. The receiver heels will still not sit down on the stock when clamped in unless you mill/file down both sides of the top of the stock where the front of the receiver (from stock liner leg forward)bears. I've done two of them. Doing this makes it fit, but you lose your triggergroup clamping pressure and will have to shim the triggergroup or bed the triggergroup to restore dimension necessary for the triggergroup to have the proper tension when locking in.

http://m14forum.com/stock/193059-shimming-heel.html

·
Registered
918 Posts
Those cheap knock off stocks had a hard time when I put it on a socom 16 back in the day. I would never get one again for any of my rifles...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Well I'll be darned. Been on this forum for awhile and never knew about the ridge cut. Learned something new today. Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Imagine if you had bought an expensive stock and had to reem it out? At least with an Archangel stock you don't cringe when you have to modify it.

·
Godspeed Greyson
2,126 Posts
Imagine if you had bought an expensive stock and had to reem it out? At least with an Archangel stock you don't cringe when you have to modify it.
Good point, because these early receivers don't fit into ANY stocks properly. Mine didn't even fit right in the stocks they came in new.... There was excessive heel to stock gap from the factory.
At the very least, you would have to bed the heels.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Its not really different than fitting any commercial stock.... Before doing anything with the TG the barreled action needs to be fit. The rec heel must fit flush with the back of the stock before you fit the TG.... I've done several of the Promag stocks on many different makes of recs & all turned out great. They are very nice stocks for the $$$.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts